This night...


As the big bright moon climbs higher in the night sky, our home becomes a little safe haven from the world's woes.
The night air is cold but we are snuggled in for the night with the woodstove blazing.
Bouncing copper color reflections dance on the newly waxed floors right in front of the stoves glass door. A feeling of accomplishment comes over me as I watch it. Its nice to have the house sparkling clean, leaving the weekend free to play. Soft music plays. I am very rarely not listening to music. Music is a part of me.
Emery sits at the small table in the living room looking through the days mail. He looks up at me and smiles, that good loving kind of smile where his eyes sparkle and say so much.
The tea kettle is hissing and spitting, nearly ready to begin its loud whistling, then, tea will be ready . Chamomile tonight, served in my favorite mug, a gift from my best friend of 44 years, Debbie. Its hand made pottery, with a dragonfly on it. She brought it back with her from a trip to Canada. I should remind her how much I love this little cup. I miss her. So many miles separate us but, we make the best of it by phone calls and email. Yearly visits too.
I have a bit of knitting to do, such pleasant work when peppered with small talk about the weeks happenings.
The cat is hanging off the screen of the front door, reminding us its her feeding time. We have a shopkeepers bell on our door and with this cats jumping and hanging on the door, the bell jingles like sleigh bells. It seems to fit the night and we both laugh. All very routine and nothing wildly exciting, just comfortable calm. The entire day has been like this, all except for a local business catching fire today causing lots of excitement. Melanie and I were on our way back from the day old bread store and saw the smoke and fire engines from 3 towns lining the road. It was quite a fire. Just smack dab in-between where Emery works and our home. No one was hurt, and that is what really matters.
The kettle is whistling, time for me to go have my spot of tea before heading off to bed, warming my insides, all the way down to my toes.


A quiet night at home




Comments

Kelli said…
Lovely photos, Patty and I enjoyed hearing about your cozy evening at home.
Kelli
JacquiG said…
I love seeing photos of your woodstove, with the mantle and the windows on either side. It gives me such a warm and cosy feeling!

I'm with Kelli, as I also enjoy reading about your cozy evenings that you spend at home with Emery.

Jackie in ON

Popular Posts