Only The Words in Red

For many years now I have wondered what Christianity would be like if we only used the words in Red in the Bible, referring to the words of Christ that are sometimes written in red ink in certain editions of the Bible.
Imagine no commentary, just the simple words of Christ, given to us to live by ?
I suspect we would see a very different church. Less differences within our churches. Far more compassion and far less "we are saved and you are not" type dialog from different denominations.

His words were simple, clear cut, no confusion but certainly full of instruction on how to live and how to live in peace.
The first real teaching words of Christ, are the Beatitudes in Matthew 5. Really good stuff. Life changing. Humbling, and for the most part, against the grain of modern society. These words tell us who will be blessed.
Look at it with new eyes, with open hearts and with a willingness to see the true value in each sentence.
It can be life changing if you want it to be.

Matthew 5:
1 Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them saying:
3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

If you want to know the true Christ, read His words, His alone for a while. Understand what He said and I just know your understanding of Him will grow.

Comments

CONNIE W said…
I always enjoy reading your blog posts. I appreciate this one, thank you for posting it.
Unknown said…
Patty, I totally agree with you. If you haven't read it already get Repenting of Religion. I think you would like it. I am taking it slowly as I am learning so much.. and I am using my Bible as I go through- and taking notes. I have struggled with being too judgemental over the years and I am ready to be free of this burden.
hugs,debra

Popular Posts