Proselytizing

Proselytizing......
proselytized, proselytizing

1. To try to convert someone from one faith to another; to make converts.
Thesaurus: convert, persuade, win over, spread the gospel, make converts, bring to the fold, bring to God, evangelize, propagandize.

I am not sure anyone enjoys those knocks on the door from someone trying to convert them. You look through the window, see someone there all clad in nice clothes, Bible and books in hand. Intention clear in their expression. Most of us don't even answer the door. Its offensive to most of us since our belief systems are usually not up for discussion and when they are, we go ask for information or head off to a new church, or the library.
People have made jokes for years about those sari clad folks standing on corners but I would much rather see someone on the corner than at my front door.
At most a person might enjoy the fun of a discussion where they feel confident holding their own against someone that is proselytizing. But that is usually done with some intent to conquer or to boost ones ego as to how much more they know than the person who knocked on the door.
We have all met that kind too, the ones that say, "send them here, I'll set them straight". Never does that kind of comment come from a meek and humble loving heart. Its 100 % a thing of "I am right and you are wrong".
I have been writing about "The Secret" and true to form, there are a select group of folks who have taken it on as some sort of mission to set me and my readers "straight" according to their law. Now, if I think about it, my blog is about like my front door. You are welcome to come visit with me, read, disagree, agree, that's just pretty straight forward and simple. But please don't push yourself in the door, foot in the door jam and try and cram your personal beliefs down my throat or the throat of my readers. That becomes proselytizing and offensive at best.
I have yet to be so rude, so arrogant, as to visit someone's blog and tell them they are all wrong and heading down some evil path for not believing my way.
I have some pretty strong religious convictions and could find plenty to take issue with out in blogland, but I have far too much respect for another persons belief system. I would not begin to convert someone to what I believe. I personally am not even finished deciding what I believe and in the past week, my faith in some Christian folk has been shall we say "changed" to a less than positive opinion. I keep asking myself, "where is the love ?" Makes me want to break out into song there, singing that line along with Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway, "where is the love"
So, if you are here to visit, to read my blog, fantastic, even feel free to comment on a subject. Take a page out of Elizabeth's book over at http://www.athomewithelizabeth.blogspot.com/ and write your own little warning against The Secret on your blog, if you feel some great need to shout, " The sky is falling!"

I greatly respect that she wrote about what she felt, of course she has not seen the DVD or read the book, but she wrote her little ditty, took it off and then put it back on. Her blog, she can do that. But, she didn't come here and do her bidding for who is right and who is wrong.
I don't mind a difference of opinion, but when it gets to this thing of, "YOU MUST BELIEVE THIS WAY" , and that's the only point of their post, and words like EVIL are used, well I just want to shake my head and wonder why they are reading my stuff.


Watchdogs never have much of a life, always waiting for someone attack.

If I am all wrong, I am sure God will point it out to me. He is after all better at that stuff than we are. I think we should let Him do His work. And after all the old saying, " the proof is in the pudding" is probably pretty darn wise. So far, God has not even whispered in my ear about this being wrong. I personally believe it gives Him all the glory for what comes to us, we just have to take some responisbility to ask for what we want.
My life is incredibly blessed. That is my proof.

If these folks that are so worried about the "evil" and had been strong enough in their convictions to be able to get past their garlic strands around the neck mentality and give the book a read, then they would have more of an ability to discuss things without sounding like the religious right Gestapo. I am almost expecting to hear they have planned a rally to burn the books soon.
My advice to them, use your own blog for your proselytizing, which by the way is a word developed in the 17th century, not a very good time for free thinkers in the world of spiritual matters.

There I said my piece. Bottom line.... I believe in God, the all knowing, ever present, never changing, always was, always will be, creator. But I am not a cookie cutter Christian and do not want to be converted into being one. I am not into that emotional religious high kind of believer. . Never was and hope to never be. And am perfectly content to let others believe in what they want. But I am very happy !


Moving on now to the beauty of the morning.

The goldfinch in the picture turned his head around to see a sound and has a watchdog type expression. Might have to click the picture to see it better.

Comments

Miranda said…
Patty~~
I don't typically comment but I do read your blog on a regular basis. I enjoy reading your thoughts and views on the world around us. Your writings give me food for thought and make me think about areas that I can improve on. Not change per se but areas that have drifted to the way side in our busy culture.

The great thing about this world is that we are all here for different purposes. I like to read and hear how others see things and what their religious views are.

I believe that faith and beliefs are up to the individual. That being said, it doesn't make someone else's beliefs wrong.

I believe in God but also enjoy learning about what others believe in.

Bottom line~~this is your blog and your beliefs that you are sharing with us.

Thank you!
Patty said…
Thanks Miranda, I sure appreciate your comment !
Marci said…
Pat, as my Grandma used to say... "It takes all kinds to make a world." Too many people think that it takes their kind to make a world.

I loved the goldfinch picture. When I made it bigger it looks like he has sun glass on.
SuBee said…
The very reason this country exsists is because forgein governments dictated religions, and strong brave people came here for religious freedom. With that in mind, and following teachings in the Bible, Live and Let Live. There's plenty of room for all, and there's so much to learn outside the safe little cocoons we build. Carry on, Patty!
Patty said…
wThanks SuBee
It really kind of surprised me that words like "evil" and such were used. I happily sent all those comments off to the land of the Deletians, the very place they will do the most good !
Patty said…
Marci,
Your grandmother was a wise woman.

That goldfinch was so funny. I had to look at the picture a couple times to figure out if it was a normal marking for them.
He had his head on backwards, like an owl.
Mrs.T said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs.T said…
Thank you Patty for you words.. they are a blessing.. more than you know..

like a friend tells me.. "Denise is all about the Love and nothing more"

Denise in TN
Patty said…
Thanks Denise, just how I feel and how I see things. I dislike being told how I should believe and dislike having my spiritual state of being compared to someone elses and I suspect there are many of us out there that feel the same. I have found out from this post, that my suspicions were right. There are lots of us who hate being told HOW TO BELIEVE. God is not so small that he has just one name or one tiny box we can put him in.
JacquiG said…
Well said, Patty! I have always felt that belief and spirituality is a very personal thing between you and your G-d. You may not think and believe as I do, but it doesn't matter at all and, as long as neither of us hurt each other or anyone else, we can agree to disagree.

The number of people who are hurt or killed in the name of G-d is horrifying, and until we learn to accept that we are all different, and to accept that difference, well it will never end.

I don't believe as you do, but I admire the strength of your convictions, the passion with which you feel them, and the deliberate way you live them. And I also thank you for sharing them with us through your blog.

Jackie

Popular Posts