Simple Day


That brief tease of spring like weather has been replaced by cold temperatures, gray skies and that dampness that gets into your bones.
The wood stove is glowing and filling the house with warmth. I love that feeling of woodstove warmth. Its different than that of a heating system. Its dry and toasty, so full of everything that says "home". That light scent of wood smoke, the popping sounds you hear muffled by all that cast iron. Maybe part of it is that old fashioned charm we all have heard about, read about and romanticize a bit.
After doing chores I wanted nothing more than a big mug of tea, no dainty tea cup, a big two fisted kind of mug. I opted for some maple tea, sweetened with maple sugar. It smelled so good, so homestead-like. And tasted even better. My hands warmed by the simple act of just holding the mug in my hands. When I was outside, you could see your breath rise like little clouds. It felt extra cold after our brief spring like weather the past two days.
While the tea was steeping, it occurred to me that I forgot to eat lunch today. Made myself a small brown sugar cinnamon bagel, perfect match for the tea. It hit the spot.
Sitting by the window, watching the mail man deliver the mail and children walking past the house on their way home from school, it just seemed that my day was just so simple and uncomplicated. I like that.
Phone calls pepper the day from children and Emery, always ending in the same sentence....
"I love you." That's really all its about.

The eggs I gathered today, I love the colors.
My tea in a very large mug

simple stuff... just the way I want it.

Comments

Kelli said…
Lovely pictures, Patty and your simple day sounds wonderful.
Kelli
Reviekat said…
Ah, what a nice post! I can smell the maple tea. :)
Jenny said…
Life wouldn't be the same without our woodstove.
Inga said…
Yes, a lovely post with lovely pictures. Makes me want to come and visit.

Inga

Popular Posts