A Visit with Mei-Ling




This afternoon, I drove Casi and Melanie in to see Mei-Ling. For me the trip to the children's hospital was a bit difficult. It brought back some memories to me of when Melanie was so sick as a small child. I knew that in the hallways of this hospital I would recognize the expression on the faces of parents, weary with worry and fear, but trying so hard to look brave and confident.
As I sat waiting for my turn to go visit this tiny new family member, I saw new mom after new mom, walking in the pain of having recently given birth, through the doors of the NICU. Some holding baby items for their little ones with so much hope attached to them. I also saw small children going through the hallways, IV poles next to them, balding heads, tired eyes, but still smiling at anyone who speaks to them.
Cooks Children's Hospital is a wonderful hospital, one of the best Children's hospital in the United States. Built to look like a castle. Almost like something from Disney Land. It is a place where miracles happen. It is a place where compassion reigns supreme.
After a bit Casi came out and let me go see my precious new grand-daughter. They only allow two visitors at a time. I scrubbed my hands and arms up to my elbow for a full 3 minutes, which seems like forever when you are doing it, then gowned up in a bright yellow disposable surgical gown. I saw Melanie sitting beside Mei-Ling, Melanie in a wheel chair, still too sore to walk much. She was holding on to Mei-Lings tiny hand, talking to her so lovingly, so tender, with a longing.
This sweet tiny girl has stolen all our hearts. She is still being tube fed, still having rapid breathing, and now a bit jaundice. No more I.V.'s but little bruises on her hands from where they were.
The Doctor is saying she needs to stay there a few more days, feeding from a nipple and having her breathing monitored longer, making certain her lungs are doing well too.
It broke my heart to see Melanie and Casi have to say good-bye to this sweet sleeping babe. Tomorrow, they will go again to see Mei-Ling, kiss her fat little cheeks, hold her tiny hands, snuggle her close to them and say good-bye again. Pray its not much longer until this tiny one is symptom free and healthy enough to come home.

The inside of Cooks Childrens hospital
Mei-Ling snuggled in
Love that black hair !
Melanie holding her tiny one

Comments

Frgl Ldy said…
I have been reading your blog for some time now and thoroughly enjoy it. Your new grandbaby is absolutely precious. I hope she continues to grow stronger and can go home with her loving mama and daddy soon.
Anonymous said…
Oh Patty, all the feelings and emotions you write about I felt when Rachael was born. Her hospital stay was 4 months but now she is healthy and smiling and doing all the things she should be. Mei-Ling is soooo cute and pretty. Her hair is gorgeous. Each day seems to last forever when the little ones are in hospital. It was more agonizing for me when Jonathan was having his open heart surgeries, but still very painful to watch my daughter and granddaughter struggling too. I pray that Mei-Ling will soon be healthy enough to go home and that Melanie will be well and have plenty of energy. xxx

Popular Posts