More on Walking

Walking to destinations is something that can only come about when there is a demand for it in this country. In our tiny town, people do walk. Matter of fact not long ago I mentioned how someone was visiting our home and was looking out the window and made a comment about how many people were walking by our house. She wanted to know if this was a town of health nuts. Within walking distance of my front door, which means within a mile or so, there is a bank, a florist, a hair stylist, a car parts store, a coffee shop, the dentist, a doctor, a nursing home, a Christian book store, the post office, a health food store, two fast food shops, a pizza shop, a donut shop, a dry cleaners, a library, a park, a pharmacy, a Dollar General and a few assorted other shops. There is no school bus in this town as everyone is close enough to walk. There is a special needs school bus that takes some children with special needs to another school rather far off.
The people in this town support these local businesses and that keeps them going. Not everyone walks to the stores but just about everyone lives close enough that they could. I "destination walk", quite often.
When I do go to the big town to do big shopping, I pretend. I pretend I am on a destination walk by parking far off, carrying my own shopping bags, the net variety so its very clear I am not shoplifting.
When I run into the supermarket, I don't grab the big old shopping cart, but instead pick up the small basket, filling it with carefully chosen foods for the next day. It controls overspending and buying junk food. I swing that little basket a bit, happily shopping with a bit of a French attitude. I cannot tell you how many times people have stopped me in the store as I shop with my baguette sticking out of the basket, they have all been European, folks living in the states. They have all asked me "where are you from....you are not American?" The conversation is always the same. "We spotted you shopping and noticed you do not have a shopping cart and noticed what you have in your basket and know you must be from someplace other than the US". Its very amusing and very telling regarding American life.
I try also to dress up a bit when I shop or walk. The hard part of that for me has been finding cute, functional, comfy shoes. I am a firm believer in good healthy shoes, but want looks too.
If you stop at a strip mall, park at the opposite end of where the store you are going to is. Walk the distance. Don't seek out the nearest parking spot. Support any small shops that you know are having to compete with the giants. It might mean you pay a bit extra for some things but you are supporting something good and on so many levels.
Walk to a friends house if you can rather than drive.
Fix cute baskets for hand work to take along with you when you visit. Destination walking can be done in this country, we just need to park further off, and think a bit differently about how we shop.

Ft Worth Botanic Gardens make a lovely place to walk.



Comments

Michele said…
I bought myself a French Market basket a couple of years ago, love bringing it to the grocery store with me! It's interesting to see the expressions on other shopper's faces, and the cashiers & baggers are so confused when I ask them to pack my items right back up in there! :)
nancyr said…
I used to walk a lot, when I was working, but now I have gotten lazy. I do try to park away from stores, so I have to do a little walking though.

I am praying that Mei-Ling will be released from the hospital by Mother's Day!
Grancy
Anonymous said…
I agree with you about the shoes, Patty - let us know if you find attractive but sturdy shoes!
Unknown said…
The Fort Worth botanical gardens are a nice place to walk. I like to go and just let Alex loose and let him run around some.

Popular Posts