Happiness

I often write about happiness, the pursuit of it, the feeling of it, and the ways it can be found.
With Mei-Ling soon to be released from the hospital, I can say I am feeling a deep level of happiness. Gratitude, but also something greater than gratitude, its a happiness that comes along with knowing in my heart what really makes you feel happy. It has nothing to do with things, possessions, good bargains, how may doilies you own, or how you decorate your home.
True happiness comes from appreciating the things money cannot buy. Good family relationships, health, faith, and having what you need in life. One time I heard a comment that has never left me. "God has promised us our bread will be sure, but He never promised us cake and ice cream." It proved to me that what we need and what we want are not the same and wanting what we need is what makes us happy.
I was thinking about my new role as a Grandmother. What will I teach Mei-Ling and Elizabeth regarding happiness, where happiness is found ?
I know a few multi-millionaires personally and they all will tell you the same thing, money is a bother. The more you have, the more you worry about, and the more you spend. Its not where happiness is found. They are always wondering who likes them for what they have and not for who they are inside.
I know many ladies that are beautiful. Their happiness is not found in their perfect bodies or beautiful faces. They worry constantly about loosing their looks and worry that people like them for their looks only. Its hard for them to get people to look beyond appearances and see who they really are. So, happiness is not in money or looks. I know someone with a mansion that overlooks a beautiful golf course and orchards. They can see the sun set on the ocean on clear days. A wonderful house, worth a million dollars, but the house is not their happiness. They sleep in separate bedrooms, stuck in what all consider a loveless marriage. No friends to come visit them and most folks laugh at them behind their backs. The house is not happiness. Their child, lonely and miserable, with parents disconnected. Happiness for them is not found in the size of the house.
So what can I teach my grandchildren about happiness ? It is not found in grand houses, in looks or with money. It is not found in things. It is found when ones heart is filled with love, compassion and the appreciation for the simple things. Scientifically, the happiest brain scans are connected to the people who have the least in life. Simple monks that when they stand, have all the possessions they own in a small bag slung over their shoulder.
Of all the groups of people I know, the happiest folks are the ones who live simply. Who don't own big homes, fine cars, big bank accounts. Its the folks that understand that maintaining a connection with simple things keeps their life uncluttered, uncomplicated, free to see, free to not be disturbed when "things" are lost or taken. People that love others more than they love themselves. People that value good character, know what honor is and seek to do good without reward or fame.
Happiness is not in the clothes you wear, its in being grateful to have clothes.
Happiness is what you can take with you when you stand up, hands free. Its in your heart, its simple. Its living without want and wanting only what you need.
Its nothing to do with fancy anything.
I can see in my own life, that the more I bring into it, lifestyle wise, the further I get from simplicity. If I am working hard to maintain a French woman's diet, I bring in more "stuff". More extras to set the mood, to create an environment. Same goes for "Taking Tea", I need more tea things, I concentrate on tea cups, fancy recipes, linens, kinds of tea. Nothing wrong with those things, just like sewing. All the needs that go along with it take away from the simple things like prayer, walking in nature, seeking wisdom, seeing the needs of others, not resenting things or people taking my time.
Happiness is really simple. Just like our faith should be. So, the lessons I want to teach these grand-daughters is the very same lesson I taught my own children and the very lesson I remind myself of when I get off track.

The morning sun shinning on the dew laden grass, a path of darker green where someone walked to do morning chores. The garden gate, grape vines all around it. The greens of spring, vibrant and alive.

Simple beauty to me. Far more beautiful than any handiwork of man.

Comments

Lockwood Maids said…
That sounds just like what you were always talking when we were growing up Mom.

Steven
Patty said…
some things never change Steven !
Lockwood Maids said…
I know what you mean!
~Niki~ said…
Usually a lurker. Come by and check out my blog and join my first contest ever! lol. I have very few entries, at this point.

Popular Posts