Mimi and Grandpa Visit Mei-Ling


On this warm and humid summer like night Mimi and Grandpa went to visit Mei-Ling.
Melanie had to stay in bed all day today and was not feeling all that chipper. Her incision is still bleeding some so tomorrow is another day in bed for her.
I feel so bad for her when I change the dressings, its so sore looking and sore to the touch. No sign of infection thankfully. Just she has done too much and that impedes healing.
Casi decided to stay home with Melanie tonight and let Emery and I be the milk delivery folks and have the delight of spending some time with our grand-daughter. As if they needed to, Melanie and Casi reminded me to take along my camera and take a few pictures. I came home with 118 pictures and two movie clips. They really didn't need to remind me to take a camera, this is ME they were talking to. I have well exceeded my normal amount of 1,000 pictures a month average in the last week.
Melanie wants Mei-Ling to call me Mimi and I like that. It was what my girls called my mother. A name that had been given my mother when my sisters daughter was little and it stuck. My mom has been gone for over 20 years now and I feel a bit funny being called what she was called, as if I could never fill her shoes kind of thing. But I am honored that Melanie wants me to be called that.
So Mimi and Grandpa went to see our little angel. She was just changed and put in this darling little outfit. I like how they dress the babies in clothes in that unit instead of old plain white undershirts and diapers. Mei-Ling posed for some pictures in the capable hands of her nurse. She was so cute, I just wanted to snuggle her in my arms. The nurse let us take pictures for a while before covering her up and feeding her that liquid gold we had just brought her from home in the little cooler. She is still being fed with the NG tube but I have to say, tonight that little one just seemed to be breathing better, slower. The nurse said she had better respirations all day. When we were there, they only went high 4 times and each time it was only for a second or two. The rest of the hour was normal and restful breathing.
I believe all your prayers are helping. The Doctor told Casi that the holes in her heart were just leaking tiny bits of blood and should not cause that kind of breathing, so they are a bit mystified as to why she has such rapid respirations. We just need to keep praying that they calm down to a normal rate. They haven't been able to find a reason why she is doing it.
I put a little Precious Moments toy at her side that is a little angel. You press its tummy and it recites the prayer, "Now I lay me down to sleep..."
Emery and I just had the hardest time pulling ourselves away from this little one. She held my finger tight as can be until she fell sound asleep. Talk about melting me...
We bowed our heads together and Emery prayed for this sweet one. Its so good knowing so many of you are keeping her in your prayers. She didn't look quite so yellow to us today, they will test her again tomorrow to see what progress they have made from her artificial "sunbathing".

Here are a few shots from tonight. This baby has lots of expressions. I think I caught most of them in the 118 pictures tonight. Yup, I am just crazy over this baby. I figure at this rate, she will have had just about 52,000 pictures taken of her by her first birthday. First grand child syndrome. I have a brag book handy at all times to show anyone who will look. Kinda reminds me of something. There are lots of pictures of my oldest sister, less of my next sister and about 5 of me. If I have 14 grandchildren, that would be something like 728,000 pictures of just first year photos.
Oh my !! Might have to build a room on to store all the CD's that will hold all those pictures. Imagine what my brag book might look like ?

Just to let you know, there are equal amounts of pictures of Melissa and Melanie as babies, I remembered to keep things even ! Didn't want to hear any talk of "you liked her better than you liked me".
Mei-Lings hair is taking on that stick up straight attitude. On top of her head, its trying really hard to stick up straight, but the nurses keep brushing it over. I think the hair is winning the battle.
The second picture reminds me of two things, Popeye and "Power to the People" Love how she is sucking in her top lip !

Comments

Michele Bilyeu said…
Mei-Ling is absolutely precious and beautiful. We are all united in blessings and prayer for her and all of our postings on all of our blogs have only multiplied many times over the power of that love. Know that we will continue to pray and that our prayer will go out to her, to 'Mimi and Grandpa', to her parents and to all who face such challenges. We hold this little one in our hearts, and it is a delight to be able to see photos of her!
smilnsigh said…
Precious. I'm so happy for your time with her. But please, Melanie...

What good will it do anyone, for Melanie to keep doing too much and impeding healing of her incision????

Oh sigh... Things like not paying attention to common sense, really upset me. And I know, it's NOT my place to be upset.

Mari-Nanci
Patty said…
widawqwHi Mari-Nanci,
the "too much" was just going to see the baby each day. It wasn't anything foolish. Each persons body responds differently to healing. She and Casi are staying with us, so she is not doing any work, but just the stress of the travel to the hospital and sitting in the store while the tornado went over us was too much for her.
Its not that she isn't showing common sense. We are making sure she is doing nothing.
I probably should have made it more clear in my post that she was not actually doing anything other than visiting the baby and riding in the car to the hospital. We are assuming it was the run into the store to get out from the tornados path that opened her incision

Popular Posts