Amish Oatmeal Cake




Many years ago, when we lived in the then little town of Moorpark, California, there was a tiny bakery called Sweet Cinns, baking was done early in the morning and you had better get there before 10 am because after 10 nothing was left. Cindy the owner, baked two or three things. Amish Cinnamon Rolls, Sticky Buns, and a heavenly Oatmeal cake with coconut frosting along with a couple kinds of cookies. The girls and I would go there early in the morning, after Emery left for work, make our choices and eat them on the patio of her tiny shop. I remember hearing at the time that Cindy was an ex-Amish girl. And by the type of her baked goods, I believe it. They were all Amish recipes.
I always chose the Oatmeal cake, the girls, cinnamon rolls. At the time I remember saying to myself, someday I am going to learn to make that cake and I have. I love the way the frosting sort of soaks into the cake and makes it super moist, a good kind of gooey at the top.
The recipe is in "Cooking from Quilt Country" on page 133. This cake has never failed to be a real hit with anyone that tries it, except our Melissa, she doesn't like coconut !
Emery eats it for breakfast...says its his way of getting his oatmeal : ) He had two pieces this morning before heading out for the day.

Amish Oatmeal Cake
Yield: 12 Servings
Ingredients:
1 cup Uncooked 1 min quick oatmeal
1 1/2 cup Boiling water
1 1/2 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 cup Brown sugar
1 cup Granulated sugar
2 Eggs
Method:
Place the oats in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Let stand for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt on wax paper. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
Add the vanilla and gradually add the sugars, beating until fluffy.
Beat the eggs into the mixture one at a time.
Add the oatmeal mixture and blend.
Add the flour mixture and blend again.
Pour the batter into an oiled 13 x 8-inch pan.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when touched with fingertip.

Now that is how the recipe goes but I am not that fussy with recipes and successfully have made this cake for years by just mixing everything together ( I still soak the oatmeal in boiling water) and beating it. It still comes out fluffy, still has good texture. Most times I double the recipe for the cake but still make only one recipe for the frosting.
I think the frosting recipe I use if much the same as in the cookbook. Its pretty standard.

The frosting I use is simple to make
1 stick of butter (1/2cup)
1 cup of brown sugar
6 oz of evaporated milk (half 12 oz can)
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 oz flaked coconut
you can also add in some chopped pecans, but I never do.

melt the butter until its bubbly, add the brown sugar and bring to a boil, slowly add in the milk and again bring to a boil, remove from the heat, mix in the vanilla and the coconut and frost the warm cake. Place cake under the broiler for 2 minutes.

Comments

Marianna said…
That looks and sounds delicious. I will be adding it to my recipe collection.
Annie said…
I have that same cook book, isnt it wonderful! I use the whole wheat bread recipe alot.
Cathy said…
This looks very tasty. I will have to try it sometime. I love coconut!
Frgl Ldy said…
I too have that cookbook. It's a favorite of mine.
~~Deby said…
I lived in Moorpark CA...my sisters and brothers all graduated from Moorpark HS....lots of memories there.....it has changed...
Deby
Debi said…
I made this the other night and it was great, quick question though I did double the cake and wondered how long you back it for? I just kept checking it. But I have to give you good laugh, when I went to put the topping on it, the cake was so high that I made a huge mess on the stove and it was funny. I was bummed about loosing all that topping but it was still very good.
I am working on this towards one that I bought at an Mennonite bulk store in KY, that one was so moist and yummy.
Yours was much closer that the first recipe that I tried. I will be getting this cookbook soon, looks like it would be used a lot in my family.
Thanks!!!
Unknown said…
Dang girl! This cake!!! I may have moaned a little while eating it. I served it with some fresh whipped cream ontop and oh my heck....... A cup of tea and WOW! Thanks!
Unknown said…
Dang girl! This cake!!! I may have moaned a little while eating it. I served it with some fresh whipped cream ontop and oh my heck....... A cup of tea and WOW! Thanks!

Popular Posts