Not a Good Day

We knew something has been wrong with Fergus MacSnow for about a month. Nothing physical but he was changing. He had plenty of play time, lots of activity and lots of running room.
We watched as he became more aggressive. Killing chickens seemed to be the only thing on his mind. He wouldn't even play soccer any more, but just ran to the hen house looking for ways to get in there and have himself a feast. Other changes started to take place too. He seemed more aggressive with everyone. Today he went after Melanie, the Dr Doolittle of the family, our gentle Melanie. Fergus went right for her throat and bit hard enough to break the skin in more than one place. Thank God he was on a runner. We had to put him on one lately just to spare the lives of the kittens and the chickens.
Fergus was not just nipping her, he was going for blood. It wasn't a mistake or just a nip. She went up to him quietly and gently, not in any way threatening.My heart broke on so many levels. Melanie is o.k. but it sure un-nerved everyone.
This afternoon Fergus was put to sleep. Everyone agreed it had to be done. Sometimes dogs just have something wrong with their brains I guess.
My sweet dog had become not very trustworthy. He was so aggressive today it broke my heart. There was time for me to say my good-byes, but he just seemed so distracted.
I have not been able to play soccer with him for some time but that's what I will remember most about my young friend. I will miss you Mr. Fergus MacSnow !
I spent my afternoon in tears, needless to say.


Comments

Leah Spencer said…
Patty... I'm so sad to hear that you had to put him down. I know you were looking forward to enjoying a lifetime with him.

Cherish the good memories.
Reviekat said…
Patty, I am so sorry that you had to put Fergus down - I know he was special to you. I hope that all of you are able to recover from the shock and sadness soon.
Patti said…
I'm so sorry Patty. What a tough thing to have to do - but the right thing. What a scary thing to happen to Melanie. I guess this dog was just meant to bring joy for a short time.
jodie said…
Patty

So sorry to hear of what you have been through with Fergus. I am way too attached to our dog Tess. You must be heartbroken.

Jodie
Sunny said…
Sorry for your sorrow, my friend.
TiempoSoria said…
I'm so sorry Patty.
Hope that all of you are able to recover soon.
Marci said…
Oh Pat, I am so sorry for all of you. It is hard to lose any animal anyway, but somehow, this seems harder. I am glad Melanie is OK.
Sandra said…
Oh Patty, I'm so sorry about Fergus. I know he was special to you. I wrote about my dogs on my blog yesterday too and know all to well how it feels to lose them.

Hope today is a bit better for you.
Kelli said…
Oh, I'm so sorry Patty. Even though it was the right thing to do, it is still very sad. I know you will miss him. ((HUGS)) to you and Melanie.
Kelli
Laurie said…
I am so sorrry to hear about Fergus. Take care of yourself, sending you hugs...
SuBee said…
Doing the right thing is so often so hard, and so heartbreaking. My prayers for swift healing for you all...
Dormouse said…
I am so very sorry. xxx
JacquiG said…
Oh Patty, I'm so sorry to hear about your Fergus. I know he meant a lot to you and that must have been such a difficult thing to do. I remember when I had to have a dog put to sleep I broke my heart.

I wonder what could have caused such a drastic change in behaviour? Did the vet have any idea? I hope Melanie is OK ... that must have been quite a scare experience for her. My thoughts and prayers with both of you.

Jackie in ON
Finn said…
Hi Patty, I'm stopping by and leaving some hugs. Today's chore was one of the hardest ones a pet owner ever has to do. But since we do speak for them, we must also take action on their behalf. Obviously something has gone very wrong in his wiring circuits. I truly hope that Melanie will be alright. It's a very scary thing to be attach by a dog, especially one you know so well. Hugs, Finn
Inga said…
Oh, how sorry I feel for you! Pets are so dear and it hard to let them go.

Inga
Lucy said…
I am sorry Patty. I understand that you have no choice . You did the right thing. I ti s hard to loose a dog

Popular Posts