Country Maids


Country Maids

Bess Truit

When you and I were country maids,
We wore our hair in long, tight braids
Or curled around in ringlets, two
And tied with ribbons pink and blue.

We never wore stiff frills and lace
Or bright red rouge upon our face.
We never dared to show our knees
No matter, then how strong the breeze.

Our dresses buttoned down the back.
The skirts were full, there was no lack
Of cloth, to make them high of neck,
Or long of sleeve are arms to deck.

We wore real petticoats you know
To keep us warm and not for show.
When you and I were country maids
And wore our hair in curls and braids.

photos are of Melanie age 9


Comments

Finn said…
Hi Patty, it's a lovely post and a great picture...and one of your blessings I am sure. She's lovely in her blue dress..*VBS*

I like the poem alot, and as a girl it give me cause to smile. I often used to think about the style of dressing in Laura Ingalls time, and how miserable that must have been for so many reason. There is a fascination and yet,no desire to duplicate. I feel pretty much the same about caring for an infant in the days before plastic pants to cover the diaper..*S* Hugs, Finn
P.S. yes, I do know about the wool "soakers" they used to put on baby. I actually have two that were knit for my DH in his infantcy.

Popular Posts