Good Finds at Goodwill


The day did not go as planned as the floors that Steven stained last night were not dry enough for me to coat with polyurethane so I headed back to town and stopped off at Goodwill. What a good day to have stopped there.
One good find after another. Books, clothes, a coffee pot for camping, a lead crystal pitcher, a goat nic nack, a dark green hobnail kerosene lamp, a replacement tea cup for one missing from my set, a cotton colonial bed spread just like I have been wanting for several years and a few more sweet finds.
All for under $20. All were things on my list of things to be on the look out for except the paper back copies of the Little House series. Those I have but am always lending them out. Now I have some just to use as lending copies.
The Christmas books were not on my list, but what fun to look through books with Christmas crafts and ideas. It has been a wonderful day for thrift shopping. Now on to laundry and making some Amish Baked Oatmeal for tomorrows breakfast. I will post the recipe and some pictures when it comes out of the oven. This is one of the best baked oat meal recipes I have tried. Whenever it is served for guests, they always want the recipe. Its perfect for a cool morning meal. Topped off with some vanilla yogurt, its total delight !


For Sale
Clara Smith Reber

For sale at auction today at high noon:
An old-fashioned buggy and a one-horse sleigh,
A music box that still plays a tune,
A rocking horse waiting to gallop away...

An oval mirror in a gilt-edged frame,
A cut-glass pitcher that still holds a gleam,
An old coffee grinder that won its frame
Serving coffee topped with the mornings cream...

A baby's high chair that knew laughter and tears,
Children's school books stacked on the scrubbed floor,
These are for sale...but the memories of years
Are locked in hearts behind a closed door !

Comments

Jenny said…
Well done! I have the Better Homes and Gardens book And I love it, I always get inspiration when I dawdle through it. In fact I might look at it now with my morning coffee. Thanks for the suggestion.
JacquiG said…
Great finds at the goodwill! I loved the Little House show on TV, but I've never actually read the books. I probably should one day.

Jackie in ON
Rowan said…
What fantastic finds and all on the same day too! The Christmas books look good - I never tire of books and magazines about preparing for the winter holidays.I enjoyed the poem though it's tinged with sadness - I always find the sales of household effects sad, someone's whole life being sold off along with all the memories the items hold. What stories some of these things could tell.
Sandra said…
Great finds Patricia and yeah, you got the Mitford book!

I re-read the Little House books and "The Long Winter" is my favourite. Christmas books are always a good find, too.

Enjoy!
Kelli said…
Wonderful finds!! The Little House books are always a nice treasure and the Mitford series is wonderful. They make me laugh out loud!
Kelli
Doesn't it seem there are those days you go into Goodwill and you can't put things in your cart fast enough? I have a feeling on those days someone (who shares my tastes in "stuff") has donated a lot!

I had been wanting to try a tart warmer and found two gorgeous warmers at Goodwill a couple weeks ago (one perfect for the kitchen, the other for the living room). I'm enjoying them very much.

The Long Winter is also my favorite of the Little House books.
Granny said…
Goodness, you did make a haul at Goodwill. Good for you!

I'm waiting on that oatmeal recipe. Sounds yummy!

Judy L.
Thanks for sharing your thrift store finds...you did very well!
sidulrike said…
ok, now you have me waiting for the amish baked oat recipe :-D

Popular Posts