Baked Oatmeal


Feeling a bit lazy, instead of typing out the recipe for the baked oatmeal, I did a search on line to see if I could find the same recipe and just clip and copy it. Yes, that is lazy but since my life has been rather busy of late, it seems fair enough for me to find a few short cuts at this point in time.
Am I ever glad I did it this way as I found two more breakfast recipes from the Inn that the Baked Oatmeal recipe comes from. It seems this B& B was featured this summer in some magazine and so the additional recipes were posted as a result of that story.
I stated using this Baked Oatmeal recipe in July of 2000, (it says that on the recipe page I have in my cookbook, I date my recipes for some strange reason). It was by far the best of the baked oatmeal recipes that I had tried. This recipe has never failed me. It always gets rave reviews.
The other two recipes I found from The Barn Inn Bed and Breakfast
look really good too and I have included them in this post for you all to try also.
Pictures....
Baked Oatmeal ready to eat
Steven and a friend in Lancaster checking out the latest style in Buggy embellishments. Steven's buggy was rather plain by comparison !

The Barn Inn Bed & BreakfastMillersburg (Holmes County), Ohio

Baked Oatmeal
Serves 4
A delicious hot treat on a cold morning. Convenient to prepare ahead of time. Every time I serve it, I'm asked for the recipe.
2 cups oatmeal

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup milk

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup chunky or regular applesauce

1/2 cup brown sugar

Topping

1 cup vanilla yogurt


Preheat oven to 325o F
In a large bowl combine the oatmeal, baking powder and salt. Mix in milk, eggs, applesauce, brown sugar. Stir and pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes. Serve hot, topping each with vanilla yogurt.

Loretta's Sunday Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients:

8 oz. Pillsbury reduced fat crescent rolls

6-7 slices of thickly sliced Swiss cheese(enough to cover crust)

4 eggs

3/4 cup milk

2 Tbsp dried onion or minced fresh onion

6 slices bacon (fried and crumbled)

salt and pepper

parsley for garnish
Separate and press crescent dough into a lightly greased 13" x 9" pan. Press into bottom and 1" up each side of pan. Place cheese slices over the dough. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk salt and pepper. Pour over cheese slices. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover loosely with tin foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done. Garnish with parsley.

Creamy Scrambled Eggs
Serves 4
8 eggs

1/4 cup milk

1/4 tsp salt

dash of black pepper

2 Tbs. butter

8 oz. cream cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes

1 Tbs. chopped fresh green onion tops (only the green part of onion)

1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley for garnish


In a large bowl beat together the eggs, onion tops, milk, salt & pepper. In a large, lightly oiled skillet, heat the butter to sizzling. Pour in the egg mixture. When the eggs just begin to set on the bottom, run a spatula underneath, lifting up allowing the uncooked egg flow to the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle in the cream cheese pieces. Continue cooking in the standard manner for scrambled eggs. When the eggs are set, the cheese will be melted. Serve immediately. Garnish with parsley.
I sometimes substitute low fat cream cheese.
This is a hit every time I serve it!

Comments

Jeanne said…
Hi Patty!
I've been offline for a bit -- just getting back caught up -- and your recipes and autumn yearnings are touching my heartstrings today.
Hugs ~ Jeanne
Hi Patty
I made the apple bars you published last week (went down extremely well) and I wll definitely try your oatmeal recipe. I love porridge (oatmeal)and so do the dds!
Marci said…
Pat, this recipe looks so good. My husband will love the Sunday one. Hope you are resting up!!!
Texan said…
Hi, Love the Buggy pictures! and the Gnome sneaking a peak in the posting before!!! Just wonderful!
Texan said…
Love the buggy pictures and the Gnome sneaking a peek in the post before was great!!
Hehehe, you really are a kindred spirit. You wouldn't believe how many times I've looked up a recipe to see if I don't have to type it.

These look wonderful. I'm looking forward to trying them.

We're going to try to visit Amish country in Northern Indiana this Autumn. Friends of ours live there and they've wanted us to come for awhile. I want to go to the fabric shops and the hardware store where the Amish shop (all kinds of wonderful goodies there).

Thanks for the recipes!
Nancy said…
That baked oatmeal looks really good. I think we'll have it for breakfast in the morning. :-)
Patty, the oatmeal recipe is delicious! Even my two year old ate it!
I want to try the baked oatmeal, and also make some for Emma, my 90-year-old friend who loves oatmeal. Can it be frozen and reheated in the microwave? That would be convenient for her to do daily.

Katherine
Tina Leigh said…
I had never heard of Baked Oatmeal until Elizabeth was talking about it the other day. I'm going to try this...sounds so good. Did I tell you how much I loved the oven fried chicken recipe?!
Patty said…
Hi Tina Leigh,
I saw Elizabeths posting with her Baked Oatmeal recipe on her blog. Made me realize hadn't made it in some time. Since my recipe is different than hers, I decided to post mine. Elizabeth has so many good recipes and things, just my recipe is differnt and maybe not so fussy.

Popular Posts