A Dear Aunt and Love



My Aunt Jeannine is just an amazing person. She is my mothers sister and I love her as if she was a second mother to me. We love so many of the same things and talking to her is like having a piece of my mother, of blessed memory, still with me.
My Aunt is active and busy. Busy with so many things that keep her young.
We email just about every day, no fear on her part of modern technology. She loves her computer.
When I arrived home from my trip back east there was a package waiting for me from my Aunt. Inside a wonderful hand embroidered table cloth, the one you see in the pictures. It was so lovingly cared for and ironed crisp and perfect. She always tucks in some family photo for me to have when she sends me something, knowing I love our family history. This wonderful woman has sent me fantastic hats that she no longer wears and so many sweet things.
As I took of the table cloth from last nights meal and laid this beautiful cloth, I was inspired to pick blue dishes for my morning tea. Emery had given me white carnations this week and they were perfect with the table cloth and the rich blues of our dining room. Inspired by the blue things, I chose Blueberry tea, a glass of cold blueberry juice to accompany my cinnamon toast. Sipping my tea I thought about all the love in my life. From the moment I was born and no doubt before that, I have felt so much love in my life. It is a blessing not to be taken for granted.
Running my fingers along the perfect embroidery stitches, I could almost feel the love from my Aunt.
Seeing the flowers from Emery and thinking about how hardly a week goes by that he doesn't come through the door looking like a silly school boy with a surprise behind his back, flowers for me. Each and every time, a token of his deep love.
And then there are the simple things, the every day things that come as gifts of love when you look at them.Steven and Pricilla were over last night. Steven telling me that all the things he has picked for his house has been chosen from his love of the things we have in our home. Melanie and Casimir sitting with me for hours talking wedding plans, including me in everything. Melissa calling for a recipe and then again just to tell me her plans always telling me how much she loves me and misses me. Each loved one pulling me closer to their hearts, even though I could not imagine that possible since there is more love than you can ever explain.

Aunt Jeannine, not sure what year but probably in the early 1940's

This mornings tea time, set on the beautiful table cloth embroidered by my Aunt

Comments

Lynn Bartlett said…
Are you the "Pat" I knew from Homestead Heaven? I think that is what someone told me! I still have many of your recipes and words of wisdom regarding homestead topics. I have enjoyed your blog for quite a while, and so admire your love for such beautiful things. You are a wonderful writer!
Marci said…
Pat, what a rich treasure your Aunt is. I know you have shared with me about your Mom and how you miss her. Maybe I need to tap into some of my Mom's sisters for a little piece of her here on earth.

I do have a question for you though. You have such beautiful dishes and tableclothes and tea pots, and tea cups, etc. How do you store them all? I limit myself on this type of stuff, because I am not sure where to keep it all. You really inspire me with "choosing" what dishes or cloth or tea pot or whatever for the specialness of that meal. Thanks for sharing yourself with us.
Patty said…
Hi Lynn, I am that very same Pat !
Thank you for your kind comments.

Popular Posts