Swedish Bitters


For many years our family has enjoyed the benefits of taking Swedish Bitters. Now I didn't say, enjoyed the taste ! However, children do get used to taking it and in time learn not to make horrid faces when the bottle appears.
It has kept us healthy I believe. For some unknown reason, I haven't been taking it faithfully this winter and I can tell.
On the Homestead, natural health seems to go hand in hand with this simple life. You go to the pasture to pick the herbs you need to heal your body. In spring our land is full of Shepherds purse. Wonderful little plant that will stop bleeding in no time. Many a time my girls had encountered a goat with a cut and reached for shepherds purse, crush the leaves a bit and apply it, only to see its amazing ability right before their eyes. I gather it and make tinctures of it each spring.
But for an overall "cure" for so many ailments will remain our beloved Swedish Bitters. It is possible to purchase it ready made in most health food stores, but we prefer to make our own. The recipe in the first book of Maria Treben, "Health Through Gods Pharmacy".
We have through the years collected several sizes of bottles of the Bitters and use them over and over when we make our own. We have some place a tiny purse size bottle too. The bitters can be applied to bruises also to speed up the healing time.
I have an acquaintance who swears that it was Swedish bitters alone that cured her dog of cancer.
Here is the Recipe, should you wish to give making it yourself a try...you may notice the shopping list for this recipe may be a bit unusual.

Here is Maria Treben's recipe for small Swedish bitters so you can make your own. Same recipe as found in the big bottles. She is the one who made them famous in modern times. I would be careful taking this during pregnancy.

Small Swedish Bitters

10gm. Aloe*
5 gm. Myrrh
0,2 gm Saffron
10 gm. Senna leaves
10 gm. Camphor**
10 gm rhubarb roots
10 gm zedovary roots
10 gm Manna
10 gm Theriac venezian
5 gm Carline thistle roots
10 gm angelica roots

this mixture is put into a wide necked 2 litre bottle and 1 1/2 litre of 38%- 40% rye or fruit spirit are poured over it. The bottle is left standing in the sun or near the stove for 14 days and shaken daily. The liquid is then strained and poured into small bottles, well stoppered and stored in a cool place. This way it can be kept for many years. The longer it stands the more effective it becomes. Shake well before using.

Comments

Christine said…
Do you make your own bitters?

Would you be willing to take a photo of the Shepherd's Purse so that we could see what it looks like?
Patty said…
I will post a picture of shepherds purse when it pops up this spring and share my recipe for the tincture then. Yes I make my own bitters, have for many years
Unknown said…
interesting article thanks

Toko buku islam
Unknown said…
interesting article thanks

Toko buku islam
Kay Comer said…
I just wanted to say I'm SO GLAD to find your blog. I've been a natural health and wellness advocate and researcher since 1977. I have a blog that's going to turn 6 years old this year and I LOVE writing about getting and staying healthy.

I found you early this morning when I was doing research on Swedish Bitters. I've used Swedish Bitters for years but had a friend just ask me about it this week and decided to do a blog.

LOVE you site and can't wait to have time to look around more later today! Kay

Popular Posts