The Colors of Life




There are so many advertisements right now for jewels for your loved one as Valentines day is right around the corner. Flashy pictures catching your attention at every turn. I was thinking about that this morning when I went out to do chores. Thinking about the pressure people feel to buy expensive gifts for valentines. When I was standing in line at Wal-Mart the other day there was a lady in front of me with several large heart shaped candy boxes and a few small ones. My first thought was, "oh how nice she has so many in her life to love". My second thought was, "she must have a lot of money". Then she takes out a credit card and I sighed thinking, maybe she doesn't really have the money, and then when her card was denied and she pulled out another one to try and then another one yet, which finally worked, I thought, "poor thing, trying to do something she really shouldn't be doing." So now back to my chore time....
I walked past my basket of wool waiting to be spun. Colors jumping out at me, catching the light from the window. So pretty, so much like a gem from the earth. Then gathering eggs, again beautiful colors, more subtle but still beautiful and useful. And one more time the colors of life around me caught my attention. Broccoli in bloom. There was just too much this year for me to get to. More than we could keep up with. Now it blooms and the bee's delight in it. So a gift to the honey bee's. The colors so bright and vibrant. The colors of life and I much prefer those to diamonds and fancy boxes of chocolate. This simple life is a loving gift made possible by my loving husband each and every day.

Comments

Alena said…
Oh, Patty, what a beautiful wool, I just try to imagine how warming a sweater or a pair of socks made of it can be... I love that orange...
And the other colors are nice as well, lovely photos - as usual...
as for the floor we live at - it is the fourth floor, right bellow the roof, I like it here, it gives you really high ceilings and beautiful wooden beams exposed to be admired... well, the only thing- it gets a bit too hot during the warm summer days, we do not have air-conditioning here, that is why...
dot said…
I love the wool. It looks so inviting, I bet you can't wait to knit something special out of it. Of course the orange caught my eye, my favorite color. You are so productive.
Sunny said…
I so agree with you about Valentines day. It's a completely made up holiday. To have to go out and buy something that you don't have money for (and no one needs )to show your love is so hollow-for the giver and the givee. I give a lot of thought to the materialism of society. Just can't support it.
Finn said…
Beautiful pictures..the colors of life..*VBS* And beautiful word pictures too. Isn't it interesting how those little life lessons unfold right before our eyes sometimes. Each their own little time capsule. Thank you for sharing your eggs and your new sewing room..it looks very peaceful..*VBS*
Saturday at bedtime my youngest brought me one of my favorite valentines. A homemade card with lots of hearts that she's made and inside it says "I Love You Mom" "Love Katie" priceless to me! One of the gifts of being a single mom is that I don't have a lot of money to lavish on my girls and now as they are getting older I'm seeing that their values are so different than a lot of their peers.
Wendy
Anonymous said…
Your post reminds me to "be in the world and not of it" as we are taught in my church. Your broccoli flowers gifted to the bees was just beautiful :-)

Popular Posts