The Comfort of Cooking




I stood in my kitchen this morning feeling some sort of comfortable connectedness to it. The cold floor reaching through my wool socks right to my toes. The sound of pulling out pots and pans, the sound of the chair being pulled out from the table. The familiar sounds of washing dishes and stacking them in the dish drainer. Just all comfortable sounds to me. Home sounds. From early this morning till just now at 8 p.m. I have been in the kitchen cooking, baking, laughing with my family and feeling satisfaction from watching my husband and son eat. My daughter seems to snack more than eat, she is busy and of course wants to maintain her thin body. Right before my eyes, grown boy hands would sneak another whoppie pie or laugh with his sister as they had a bowl of tapioca before meal and just like when they were little make jokes about it being fish eggs.
Anadama bread baking filled the house with the mingling smells of corn meal, molasses and that special homemade bread smell.
Although I feel tired and my feet are just a bit worn out feeling from standing all day long, I cannot help but feel good about my day. The house quickly warmed up with all this baking and preparing one meal after another. But the dinning room stays a bit cooler and so the steam rose in large pillars from the hot bowl of tapioca when I placed it on the table to cool.
I thought a bit about my day and felt a bit sad for all the ladies that do not have this simple joy from their being in their kitchens. I can see the happiness on my families faces tonight as they talk about mothers cooking and how much they love what I make for them.
I love the comfort of cooking for my family. Truly I feel blessed

Comments

Granny said…
I was right there in the kitchen all day too. I made bread and your grapenuts.

Judy
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful post! I haven't done home baking for a while - long story, and after reading about your "kitchen feelings" I'm going to get back to it by cleaning out my kitchen, making it a place I want to be and cook up a storm for my wonderful family - thank you :-)
Unknown said…
Patty, I'm hanging in there still waiting to hear from the doctors. I have to agree with you the comfort of cooking is wonderful, I made bread today the smell went thru the house and warmed us all, I'll have to try your grape nut receipe it looks scrumptious....Hugs Tina
I love your all of your posts, esp the ones that have encouraged me to get back to cooking from scratch. Really nothing beats a real homemade meal,when my girls come in from school and work to the smell of cooking they always comment and appreciate the effort.
Wendy
Alena said…
Bread and the pastries look wonderful! Lovely post, thank you for sharing the cosyness of your nice home, Patty...
Nancy said…
All these posts everyone's making of their homemade bread has me itching to get my hands on some bread dough. I used to bake bread all the time but as my life got busier I made it less and less. It's probably been 10 years since I made anything more than an occasion batch of homemade rolls. I think there's probably going to be fresh bread at my house this weekend. :-)
Sunny said…
Hey GF. I love anadama bread myself and have made it many times. But, now I want your recipe! Can you post it or e-mail it?
Finn said…
Beautifil food pictures..what a treasure to have both the gratitude and the substance to sustain our needs. Thank you for sharing..*VBS*

Popular Posts