Wisdom for the ages







Proverbs 27
1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.
2 Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.
3 Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both.
4 Anger is cruel and fury overwhelming, but who can stand before jealousy?
5 Better is open rebuke than hidden love.
6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
7 He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet.
8 Like a bird that strays from its nest is a man who strays from his home.
9 Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel.
10 Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father, and do not go to your brother's house when disaster strikes you— better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away.
11 Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart; then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt.
12 The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.
13 Take the garment of one who puts up security for a stranger; hold it in pledge if he does it for a wayward woman.
14 If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse.
15 A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day;
16 restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand.
17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
18 He who tends a fig tree will eat its fruit, and he who looks after his master will be honored.
19 As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man.
20 Death and Destruction are never satisfied, and neither are the eyes of man.
21 The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but man is tested by the praise he receives.
22 Though you grind a fool in a mortar, grinding him like grain with a pestle, you will not remove his folly from him.
23 Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds;
24 for riches do not endure forever, and a crown is not secure for all generations.
25 When the hay is removed and new growth appears and the grass from the hills is gathered in,
26 the lambs will provide you with clothing, and the goats with the price of a field.
27 You will have plenty of goats' milk to feed you and your family and to nourish your servant girls.
Melissa milking one of our goats in Oregon
Fig tree
Weaving
Hand dipped candles
Melissa and Melanie with Ramona our ewe
Spinning wool
Canned apple pie filling
Melissa and Melanie with some of our goats when they were children
Steven and Scott with rabbits we raised
Annike
Melissa and Melanie with some of our chickens 17 years ago !
Homestead life is a good life

Comments

And who are Steven and Scott? I don't think I've seen those names before.

Nice photographs.
The Stricklands said…
What beautiful pictures of a beautiful family. My oldest daughter needed pictures for a project at college this week. I have had a fun walk down memory lane looking at old pictures of all of our precious children. Sweet memories are such a treasure!
Patty said…
Hi Pieceful Afternoon, Steven is Grand-blessing Elizabeths father, our oldest son and Scott is his brother who is now back with his birth parents after being with us for several years. I have mentioned them both MANY MANY times
Thanks for the clarification on the boys - I have not yet been able to read all of anyone's blogs - and I'm new to blogging so there is a lot to discover as I go along.
tami said…
Is that your weaving? It's absolutely gorgeous. I took my first weaving class last weekend and you can see a picture of my tiny effort at overshot on my blog. I had a hard time keeping my selveges looking nice and even and my teacher said I am "a heavy beater". Hopefully, with some practice, I will get the hang of it.
Patty said…
Hi Tami,
Its not my weaving but my girls both learned how to weave as young ladies. I still need to learn beyond a small rigid heddle.

Popular Posts