Apple, Orange, Cinnamon Garland

Each year as soon as the wood stove is being used regularly, I dry a string of orange and apple slices that have been dusted with cinnamon and cloves. The more thoroughly you coat the fruit with the spices, the more fragrance you have. This year I covered them heavily, so much so that you couldn't see the color of the fruit at all.All winter long this garland of nature fills the house with a spicy scent that is subtle but enough to make you sense the holiday season is here. I slice the oranges and dust them in ground cloves. I slice the apples and dust them in cinnamon, then let them dry a day or so. You can use a dehydrator to do this, matter of fact it works quite well. I then string them up, hang them in a nice dry spot and let them do their work of filling the house with the scent of the holiday season. This year I added little bundles of cinnamon sticks tied up with ribbon. Just a simple little holiday project that delights all winter long. I used a 5 lb bag of each fruit to make what you see hanging in the picture, the apples were the small variety, $2 a bag, and the oranges were under $5. The cinnamon from the Dollar store as were the cloves. The cinnamon sticks came from the Mexican market for $2 and I had the ribbon in my stash. The garland cost under $10 !

I do keep these garlands from year to year. They have to be completely dry and stored in a zip lock bag in order to be good for the next winter. I have added a few drops of Cinnamon oil on them the second year to sort of give them a scent boost

Comments

Dana and Daisy said…
I've always wanted to know how to do this!
I hope this means you're feeling better?
Aunt Jenny said…
I bet it smells heavenly..cinnamon is one of my favorite smells there is. It looks so nice too. I did a dried apple garland years ago like that..much more simple...yours is beautiful. Hmmmm maybe I will have to do one this year. You have inspired me once again!!
Have a fun weekend~!
Marci said…
I would love to try that sometime. I bet it does smell good!!
Dawn said…
You can always make a strand for me and give it to me on Sunday when I am in Grandview :-) It sounds like it smells lovely! I am all about the smell good stuff. :-)

Bless you!
Love the idea of your dried fruit garland. I hope I can remember to do this next year. Need to make myself a list! Thanks. Nancy D.
Patty said…
Hi Dawn,
I wouldn't want to rob you of the joy of making one : )
oh! I'm sure your home smells wonderful! I'd love to try these. :-)

I'm glad you are feeling better. ((hugs))
Goode Evening...

I am type-less at this moment... your blog has amazed me to no end. I just happened upon it this late evening. Your blog is one of the few that I search high and low for, to uplift my inner spirit each day. Sounds as if you are truly living a simple life... LOL... how I would love to do that someday. I do somewhat now, but it is still very hectic here.

I will definitely be visiting with you on a daily basis...

MeRRiE BLeSSiNgs 2 YoU on this DeCeMbeR DaY, Pamela
Unknown said…
Thanks so much for sharing your blog and how to make a sweet smelling garland . My first visit to your blog! Love it! Thank you for the inspiration, we will also be doing this now!

Popular Posts