A Little More About Christmas Being Over

It doesn't seem like I explained myself well in the last post about how I am feeling about the spiritual side of this Christmas which made me think more about it.
And I decided its a bit like if you have a birthday party for someone you really love and yet you are so busy with the details of the party that you don't get to spend as much time as you would like with the guest of honor. Maybe just maybe what I experienced an aspect of the "Martha" side of this great story found in Luke 10: 38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself ? Tell her to help me!"
41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
It might have something to do with being so behind in my Christmas preparations since I was not able to do a thing for over two weeks at the beginning of December, but whatever, I felt that I didn't get much time to contemplate the great spiritual significance of the season. We didn't get all materialistic or go overboard with gifts, it wasn't that, but it was as if I didn't get to focus as much time with the guest of honor as I would have liked. Its not that I don't feel close to the Lord, its not that at all and my relationship with God is just fine, its only that I now feel in looking back over the past couple of weeks, that I spent more time on the festivities than on the depth of what we are celebrating. I realize now that what I am missing was more of a holy experience for the season and less of a busy experience. No doubt being sick played a part in that as I had a lot of stuff to cram into a few days, and there has not been a single quiet moment in a week for me...oh maybe that is it, maybe its not just about Christmas, maybe its about not even having time for my quiet rambles around our land and talking to the Creator for hours at a time, maybe, just maybe its a cumulative thing.

Comments

I also think that the timing of Christmas in America is odd, or doesn't help us connect with the spiritual reality of the season. In traditional Hungarian Christmas, there is no tree until Baby Jesus and the Angels bring it on the evening of the 24th of December. Then the celebration continues until Twelfth Night, January 6th, the feast of the THree Kings, the Epiphany. That's more the way we used to do it. Before the 24th is Advent, and we are not celebrating Christmas yet. Such things are not as observed as in the past, but I am still shocked when I see some trees thrown out by the 26th or 27th........
R. Aastrup said…
That's what I was thinking, Patty. Because of course the truth is that all it takes is time--any day, any week--to connect. Christmas happens to be when much of the world intentionally sets aside specific time to contemplate the birth and gift of Christ...but in the end, it doesn't really matter when we celebrate that gift. Only that we do.

One of my resolutions/plans for my redesigned study is to make it a place for meditation and reflection. In my busy life, I feel a huge need to slow down and study more. I'm determined to do that, now more than ever.
Lucy said…
We were sick too, from around the 13th through to now, and it had a big imapct on our Christmas. I like how you explain it - yes, I felt as if I was in the kitchen while my best friend was in the sitting room, and I barely saw Him!
More (((hugs))) That verse really touches on how easily distracted we can become by all the business of life, doesn't it? I pray the Lord comforts your longing soul with His Peace, Patty.
Kim said…
I Ordered a book about the whole Martha Christmas
from I think they're called Proverbs 31 ministries
It's Called Can Martha have a Mary Christmas, It's about how we all try to have Martha's perfect Christmas and miss out having a Mary ( merry) one.
Very interesting .
Happy New Year to you and your family and don't worry about the mean comments that people leave. Just don't approve the messages or delete them. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

Popular Posts