A Cold Morning


The air is full of moisture, freezing mist is falling and a few snow flurries. I am just now thawing out after morning chores. The back steps were a sheet of ice so I opted to jump off the porch and skip the steps all together, however I did decide that at 54, jumping is not as natural as it is at age 10 !
I carried out hot water for the chickens and they were delighted with it. The goats water was frozen solid with about an inch of ice. I do love cold weather, its exciting to me, now granted here in Texas our cold is not like the cold I grew up with, thinking back the coldest I can think of was 1980, 20 below with a wind chill of 50 below. Melissa was a baby and we went to my parents house for the holiday and ended up staying over night because it was just too cold to drive the 5 miles home. No one wanted to take the baby out in that kind of weather. Doing chores in that kind of temperature might not be so much fun.
I gave the goats a bucket of hot water with molasses in it. It's a bit like goat hot chocolate ! They love it and drank and drank. I suspect it warms them up a bit too. Right now I can hear my tea kettle beginning to whistle on the wood stove....nice cup of tea will hit the spot for me too.
It will be a good day to stay inside and do some sewing and a bit more decorating. I have one room left to finish with Christmas decorations.
It was so nice to put on my barn bonnet this morning, keeping my head toasty warm. Might just make another one this week, big enough to felt.

Comments

Iowa Gal said…
We would love to see all of your Christmas decorations. Pictures please........JAN
Dana and Daisy said…
You could alter your hat pattern slightly and have a chicken warmer instead! lol!

They would appreciate it I bet!
Winter in New England years ago: cardboard wedged in front of the car radiatior, windows frosted, "chains" on tires after a snow storm!
My Dad was road commissioner in our little town for many years. During a blizzard I would wake at night to hear the plow rig growling away parked outside while my Dad and his "wing man" came in for Campbell's soup, sandwiches and more coffee for their thermoses.
The molasses brew for the goats sounds great-- it is molasses that makes the horses' grain smell good enough to bake up in muffins.
We have to use an electric stock tank heater here all winter for the horse water tub. The cats are thoroughly spoiled--they all live inside with us.
Oh... how I hope for those days... soon. Hen House coming in Spring...

Barn Bonnet... do you ever offer them for sale??? Love that decription...

Thank you for sharing much of your day... always brings a smile to my face...

Warm Hugs, Pamela
Yum...molasses! My elderly bunny loooves her molasses...we do too!
Aunt Jenny said…
Your barn bonnet is adorable!! Just what I need to make!! Do you have a pattern for it??? I never find a cap that will stay on (lots of big thick long hair) and end up looping a thick scarf up over my head and around my neck like a hood most of the time when I milk early mornings. 5 degrees again at milking time this morning..we got a few inches of snow last night and a little more during the day..not as much as predicted..but more coming it sounds like. I love your pictures!!
I made a warm bucket of mollasses water this afternoon for my beloved cow Mona. She just loves it!
Patty said…
Hi Jenny, just email me with your snail mail address and I will send you the pattern. pasuhi54@msn.com

Popular Posts