What Happened to Idealism ?

Yesterday I listened to a Donovan CD. I know this is dating me and showing my age but there was a purpose in listening to his music. When in my youth I had listened to him sing such songs as Mellow Yellow or Hurdy Gurdy Man, I felt inspired by those rather silly songs. Within the hippy melodies and the "tripped out lyrics" there were feelings of wanting to make the world a better place. There was youthful idealism and a serious disdain for apathy. A call to make the world a better place. I was so "into" social injustice in those days and in worked for it.
In this time of reshaping of my life, the one thing that came to me is that I have grown rather apathetic through time. Sad to say but true. I seem to be quite content to sit in my own little world and yes, perhaps blog and that seems to extend me a bit but for the most part, the world goes round without much interference from me or much concern other than the rather casual comments like, "oh my that is too bad" or "wow we have sunk to an all time low in the world". Comments, just passing comments. No action applied.
I am not sure what happens to this youthful idealism that we once so proudly carried about. I remember thinking my parents were "plastic" was the word I used. Meaning they just were going through the motions and didn't really care about social issues etc.
I think I have reached that "plastic" stage. Or have I ?
I am writing about it so maybe I am not. Maybe in redefining myself and wishing to stretch and expand, just maybe some of that idealism will come back. If you think about the really great people in life, the ones not with riches or fame but the Mother Teresa's of the world, the one thing they maintained was an idealism that mankind is worth redeeming, worth fighting for. When I am dead and gone I don't want to be remembered for just the pretty dishes I had or the quilts I made. We should make an impact on others by making their lives better. That is what I want for a legacy.
I was thinking yesterday that so many of us know lots of things, we know how to cook or sew or quilt. We know how to take a proper tea or how to tell a story. I was talking to the little children over the fence from next door while I was hanging clothes up. I saw the mother there on the phone, the children seeking attention and not getting it, they were pestering me, but were they really?
I came in the house feeling a bit uncomfortable that I have never had the little girl over to tea or had her come over to bake cookies. I never showed the little boy how to make arrows but told him where to get some sticks that make good ones. I had shown my boys how to do such things. In my mind his parents should do that, but maybe no one showed them how to do that. Maybe I can help.
Can I take up some of that slack and make a difference. Is this idealism being reborn in me ? Maybe. It depends on if I act on such thoughts or just roll them around until they become nothing more than a passing fancy.
When Donovan sang about that "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and how he came singing songs of Love, well maybe, just maybe there was still a timely message in that old song. I don't plan to go about with love beads and bell bottoms and flowers in my hair singing songs of love, but maybe I can be more of a loving person and step outside of my comfort zone.
Think I will plan a tea party, with dolls, teddy bears and a little neighbor girl who longs for just such a time. Its a beginning... think now I will put on my Cat Stevens CD and listen to Peace Train.

Comments

Finn said…
I have that Donavon music on an LP. Way back then, in my mid to late 20's I thought Jennifer Juniper was just "it"...LOL

Very interesting perspccive on our "humanness" or lack there of. A few years ago, there was a small movement afoot, doing random acts of kindness, and that was wonderful. So many small unnoticed ways people can help each other.
And then there was a short spurt of "pay it forward". But you hardly ever hear that anymore either. We just aren't very nice to each other anymore. I think we've become "isolated" within our homes, tied to media, tired from battling the competition for status and position. It's very sad. Kind of "where have all the flowers gone?" you know?

I feel very blessed to be mostly beyond participating in such nonsense. I can live in a house by the side of the road and be a friend to man.....I think it was Ben Franklin who said that. A simple life without desire for status is a pretty good way to live...*VBS* Hugs, Finn, who hope you will have that tea party, or sit on the grass and let those children talk to you..*S*
Two songs that really spoke to me as a child were cats cradle and signs.
I've tried my best to be an involved mom, knowing that there are no do overs in parenting..and signs...well I too struggled with the serves them right attitude and that some people are just better than others....adults seemed to have when I was young. I just couldn't accept all the injustices.
As I was reading your blog today I thought about what I've done about that as an adult....well Patty I think we both have probably made a point of teaching our children to see others through Jesus eyes instead of our own. Jesus spent his time with who society considers the marginal people and I've tried to teach my children to look beyond peoples circumstances and to see their value. I speak up when things are wrong, I stand up for whats right. Maybe if we all spoke up a little and spent time teaching and mentoring the young people in our lives....we will make the difference our hearts desire to?
Wendy
Alena said…
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Patty. You are an inspiration to me...
Granny said…
I'm thinking your little neighbor girl may soon be your best friend! :) How sweet of you to take the time with those children.

As far as being "plastic", I think a lot about that too. I think as we get older, we realize how difficult it is to really make a difference. Politicians have lost their morals (assuming they once had them), money rules the country and what's right doesn't seem to matter enough. I get pretty disgusted with things. I feel there's little I can do to make a difference but I also know if I do nothing, I'll definitely not ever make a difference. Pretty frustrating.

Judy L.
Unknown said…
Patty, I always love reading your journal, you inspire me and make me think. I wonder if you realize what a great influence you are just being you and that you make a difference in the world every single day. I wish I could be there with you and your little neighbor girl having high tea. Our children today need mentors their parents are too caught up in the rat race and some are struggling(sp) just to make ends meet.
I thought as I was reading that I didn't know who Donovan was but when I downloaded some of his Music I realized that I recognized his songs they speak from the heart. Thank you again for sharing , you have a wonderful heart and true talent..
Hugs
TINA

Popular Posts