1973, My First quilt


Way back in 1973 when at the tender age of 19, I made my first patch work quilt. It was pieced by hand and then tied. Used an old sheet for the backing and thought I had created a masterpiece. When looking at the picture one has to wonder if I actually wore clothes made out of some of those fabrics and to be honest I am pretty sure I did. That little quilt was on my bed until I was married in 1978. Not only did I make a quilt, but just look at that pillow sham behind my neices head ! It has a big snail appliqued on it.
I suspect the quilt and the sham went perfectly with my Peter Max sheets ! My neice sure looked like she was laughing pretty hard about something in the picture. She is a delightful young woman now, accompished in so many areas.

Comments

Sunny said…
I knew it was her at first glance. Even though she looked a lot like you when she was little.
Anonymous said…
It's fascinating having a look at "first quilts". Thanks for showing yours :-)
Pam said…
Gosh, I wish I could quilt because I would love to have a "first" quilt! Very cool! Thanks for sharing your quilts and your life!
Lucy said…
Great quilt . It looks to me as a "real" quilt made from old clothes. And it remind me that I will learn Isis tie her first quilt , we have something to do here:c)
Alena said…
What a beautiful photo, your niece resembles you so much, at first I thought it was Melissa...
First quilt at 19 - hm, I wish I had such long quilt history - I started 3 years ago - I have to learn so much still and enjoy first of all! Take care Patty...
Finn said…
It's a gorgeous first quilt Patty! And perfectly typical of the fabrics from that time. I was sewing a lot of clothes back then, trust me..it's typical!! I think it's a wonderful accomplishment, and an excellant bookmark of it's time. Wish I had something from way back then...but quilting was still a few years off for me..*VBS*

Popular Posts