Its All in How We Perceive !


Nature is a profound teacher and we can be good students if we pay attention.
For the last few mornings I would hear a loud tapping sound at the bird feeder. Looking out the window I would see a lovely woodpecker, pecking on the Plexiglas sides of the feeder. He could see the seed and would peck at it. I thought "stupid bird, can't get any seed that way." I chuckled to myself at the "dumb" bird. Now I had this new knowledge that woodpeckers were not too bright.
This foggy morning I heard it again, so I looked out the window and watched. What I saw gave me pause for thought about a lot of things and about the way we judge situations and people.
This so called "stupid" bird was actually pecking at the side of the bird feeder to make the seed fall down into the tray part of the feeder. He would peck at the side and then feed on the seed that fell down. Bird seed often gets a bit stuck in the main part and this now "brilliant minded" bird was solving his problem. He actually figured out something.
How many times do we judge a situation concerning family and friends the very same way ? I have said more times than I can count, " what in the world is that person doing? " only to be amazed at the results.
Life's lessons at the bird feeder on a foggy damp morning.


I apologize for the poor quality of the photo, but it was taken out the window on this very foggy morning. I think if you click the picture you will see the bird a bit better.

Comments

Finn said…
Ah yes, the intelligence and wisdom of us wise humans, whose life on this planet rarely measures in 3 digits...*S* It's a cause and effect world out there...*VBS* Thanks for sharing the photo...quite amazing.
Patti said…
We have a woodpecker that comes back every year. I always know when he's here because I can hear him tapping away. The first year it took the longest time to figure out what the sound was. You see, this - as far as I can figure out - is a really dumb bird. He comes every year and starts pecking on our metal chimney cap. I know there's no birdseed up there, and I think there is probably a much better place than that to find bugs. But now you've got me wondering . . . .

Popular Posts