Making Your Own Path in Life


At age 51, I have learned that living to other peoples expectations is a bit silly, if not stifling. I spent much of my early years wanting to conform to what people expected, well within reason for me, which in writing that sentence out I can just about hear my dear friend "Sunny" laughing out loud at the thought that I ever conformed to anything ! O.K. so if the truth be told, my idea of conforming is a bit different than some other folks. By conforming, maybe I mean living in a way that people expect you to, even if the expectation is to be a non conformist. That was a mouthful !
By now, if you have been reading my blog you have realized that I do not fit in any mold. I am sure I have disappointed many people here by not always being the cookie cutter "plain person" and stepping out of that preconceived idea of what that should be many times.

I have not and will not ever live in such a way as to think that a certain belief system, style of dress or way of life is the only way one attains a ticket into the pearly gates. That right there is non conformity !
If we were to serve a God that had a dress code in order to have salvation, well I am not so sure I would like Him.

My sweet husband says that I, like a diamond have many facets. Nice way of saying I have a million interests and don't mind living them. Its not that I am fickle, far from it. To me life is exciting each and every moment. I am never and I repeat, never bored. There is a whole world out there to explore and learn from. I want to experience things deeply. With all my senses. Seeing, hearing, touching, tasting, etc.
We worked hard at raising our children to be who they are meant to be and be comfortable in that. To be independent yet, loving and caring. If the truth be told they were raised with an almost hippy parenting style yet not exclusively.

Blogging is a huge expanse of experiences. Communicating with people from other countries or other areas of this country that I would have never met other than through blogging. I learn so much from all of you. What you share, no matter how mundane you think it is, is a gift to me.
Sometimes I think about the time spent blogging and its a shock to me that so many hours have gone by, but I would not trade those moments as they are enriching. They are moments spent learning and stretching my own horizons.

I also have learned to be comfortable in my own skin. Who I am is o.k.. A long time ago I realized that certain doctrines do not give you an automatic pass into heaven. That living simply is not the only way to live, that real peace, the kind that lasts, is so deep that it can be found within you under any circumstances, yes, even the difficult and painful times. How you dress, how you wash your clothes, light your house or how you do you hair has nothing at all to do with how right you are with the Creator.
Life is indeed wonderful.

Oh on a side note, I have posted lots of pictures from last springs garden on my other blog.

Comments

Granny said…
Patty, you've surprised me a couple of times but I have never been disappointed in anything you've written . . about yourself, your lifestyle or anything else. I look so forward to each and every blog entry you make!

I'd have to agree with your dear husband, you are a very multi-faceted person, and I am sure life with you is very enjoyable (and interesting!).
Patty you truly inspire me......its been a long journey for me to "feel comfortable in my skin" and as a mom at times it can be hard not to conform to how other people are raising their families...I didn't want to raise obedient robots, but instead my prayer for my girls is that they will be strong, capable women with hearts for God, and will make a positive difference for Him in this world doing what He created them to do and also be like. God has been such a faithful husband and father in this family.
oh and about spring...we have puddles today, some of the snow is melting!!!!
Wendy
Alena said…
Lovely post, as usual... :o)
This post was meant for me today! I have really been struggling where it comes to certain issues, and a lot of the struggle has to do with what molds different people want me to fit.

I've come to the conclusion that I am ME. I was made as individual as everyone else, with my own personality, my own challenges, my own talents and shortcomings, and I can't be anything but myself. If I try to be like anyone else, no matter how inspirational they might be, I am going to fail miserably.

I just want to live my life day by day doing the best that I can and finding beauty and wonder in everything around me. I want to acknowledge my blessings, share them with others, and make life a bit better for others along the way.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it confirmed alot of what I am already feeling!

Bonnie

Popular Posts