Trying to Capture the Moment


Some days I am just not sure how you can capture a feeling, the smell, the way the air feels on your face, the way the earth feels on your hands as you work the soil, in a picture.
I kept looking around as I picked baby lettuce, flat leaf parsley, dill and baby spinach for a salad, hoping to see one thing that stuck out and showed my experience to you. So many things grabbed my eye, but not just one. I picked asparagus and red cabbage, and some mint. Still, it seemed impossible to catch the way the wind felt on my face and how soft the damp air felt. Or more how I feel today.
I made the rounds of the rose garden, the yellow rose is in full bloom but I showed you the bud the other day. I wondered, how could I show you the way the wind was playing with the trees, and how the pine trees reminded me of little brooms sweeping the air in the wind ? Or how the clouds have been racing across the sky, changing shape as they go, transforming into funny looking dogs or ghost shapes ?
And now in the house, the cabbage being pan fried, and smelling more sweet than like when you boil cabbage. A nice smell. And Sweet potato empanada's baking in the oven, another sweet smell. Couscous, spiced and waiting to be dished on the plate. I wish I could blog the good smells for you.
The house, quiet. Peaceful. Profoundly peaceful. The world passing by me so fast paced. I am living deliberately. Slowly. Simply. What picture could capture my going against the flow yet being so happy ?
Maybe today there should be no photo to accompany my post, naw, that is not like me. So I am sending an old photo, one from 26 years ago. It kinda shows me having an expression of how I feel today. Except I was pregnant in the picture ! We had made the hike into Bridal Veil Falls in New Hampshire and all of me felt so alive, so perfectly satisfied. That's just like life is for me, and since I don't do a very good job of taking my own picture I searched for this old one, that shows how I feel today with all the good things around me.All of me feels 25. I have that same kind of energy, the same or more enthusiasm. My apathy is dying so I feel idealistic again. So yes, this is just what today feels like. With all the wonderful sights, smells and sounds around me that delight my heart.

Off to do some fabric shopping now. This is for fabric to make some pants for hiking. Tie Dye mind you !

Comments

Anonymous said…
You write so beautifully, often I CAN imagine the smells and sounds surrounding your life :-)
Pam said…
That a great picture. I love the description of the food you are cooking. It sounds delicious. Can I come to dinner?!
Pam in Canada
Finn said…
Neat Photograph Patty, love seeing you way back then. And the word pictures do a really good job...not sure how anyone can "show" what it is that we "feel" or sense at any one time.

Old memories are like that for me...I remember the slant of the sun, the dry dusty smell of Oct. in the air...the quality of the wind touching my face....and when was that??? 1948...my late afternoon birthday party..picture being taken of the group of girls, out in the driveway. I don't remember the party or the girls..just nature's gifts that day.

Popular Posts