Looking Back


I needed to get something out of my cedar chest this morning and while looking for the item I needed, this little valance popped into view. It was made for my sister when she was born to match the little crib quilt that was also made for her. The quilt is long gone, worn out or passed along to another baby in the family.
I looked at the carefully made stitches and laughed a bit at the fabric, wondering if someone actually had clothes made out of them at one time and these were the scraps.
When families were waiting for the blessed event of a baby's arrival, they passed the time in making the needed items. The father or grandfather made the cradle, the mother and grandmother sewed tiny little outfits with perfect stitches. Knitting needles flew as booties and sweaters were made, each stitch in love.
I think now to how baby showers are lacking all those home made "pretties" . We see plastic wrapped blankets, clothes with tags and hangers on them. Big boxes of equipment and toys that replace the hours of simple "patty cakes" and "peek a boos". There are now throw away diapers, disposable bibs, wash cloths and baby wipes. Baby clothes and toddler clothes often just miniature adult clothes in the most current adult fashions. I long to see babies in bonnets and dressed in outfits with smocking and tiny tucks. You see a few now and again and its a delight to see a baby looking like a baby and not a tiny Britney Spears or some hip hop singer.
For all the gadgets on the market for babies, it sure doesn't seem to be making them smarter or more advanced or even more content.
I vote for bringing back the old ways with babies and preparing for them with stitches made with love and having family around so that there is always someone to hold the wee one.
Yes, I know I am looking back for modern society, but in the "plain" world it is not one bit modern concerning babies and I like that.

Comments

Alena said…
Amen...
What a lovely piece of art... Keep it safe for your daughters, they will love to use it, won't they?
Patty said…
Yes, Christine the pretties are expensive, that is why I am so in favor of older women teaching the younger ones how to make these pretty things themselves. It doesn't take much to embroider little cute designs on a baby blanket or sew a tiny bonnet or knit some pretty booties.
Anonymous said…
I used to make my babies smocked outfits and knitted them lovely little sweaters etc and I look forward to the day when I'm a grandma and can do so again for the next generation :-)
I loved sewing little things for my baby girls and dressing them in pretty dresses with old fashioned bonnets...I also used cloth diapers on all four babies...people would comment about how much work it was.....but my grandma had 5 during the depression and no washer and dryer....I had it easy.
Wendy
Finn said…
Love your post Patty, the valance is soooo sweet..*VBS* And maybe some of those pieces had been scraps from aprons, curtains, etc. That part fascinated me..*S*
I'm with you 100% on what has happened to baby attire. When my 2nd grandchild was "growing" in his mommy, I hoped it might be a girl, I was envisioning sweet little dresses, hair bows, and little panties with lace or ruffles across the bottom. And at just the moment, my daughter-in-law says, "oh yes, I can just see her in leggings and her big brothers sweatshirt" Oh my...how times do change. I have often said to my friends, I'll bet almost no young people out there know what a diaper pin is...LOL. And they use the cloth diapers for burp cloths.
Kelli said…
Sunbonnet Sue's are my favorite quilt square! I made my first daughter a Sunbonnet Sue crib quilt when I was expecting. Your valance is precious.

Popular Posts