The Plain Life

There are times when you just get tired of being "plain" if you are "plain" (amish or mennonite).
If you are born into the life, you might feel tired of being so different from the world but you don't act on those feelings. You just pray harder to have a more humble heart.
For me, there is a rebellion in my soul. I have an independant, hard headed side. So conforming at all times is a bit difficult for me. My husband on the other hand, has no rebellious bones in his body. He is sure and steady. The same one day to the next. I love that about him. Me, life is always a struggle. Pulling me this way or that. Each time I feel rebellious, I end up at the same place in a few days times. The attitude of the world calls to me, to be more sophisticated, more modern. Music calls me, dressing different, colors, etc.
I chase these things for a bit, then see that there is nothing there but flash. I once again feel the need for community and want the stability of a simple life. Most of the time I just work through these moods and don't ever act on them. This time I did. I cut my hair ! Big deal, it really is. In plain churches the Bible means what it says. Simple as that. And long hair is said to be a womans glory in 1 Cor.11:15. So in the world I walk in I just cut off my glory. It will grow and so its not the end of the world for me, but now my fickle mindedness will be remembered every time I look in the mirror.
For those not walking in this "plain" world, this stuff must seem to silly and so strict. And there are things that when your heart is not right, and spoken about in a bad tone, seems so old fashioned and so old world. Dark ages type behavior, but it isn't.
With all the technology at my feet, there are also choices and with choices comes hard dicisons. So bare with me while I figure things out. Things you may not even have to think about are difficult for me in my world.
I have allowed you into my private thoughts and struggles. Maybe next time you see an Amish or Mennonite, you can have a bit more understanding of the life. Amish youth going through "Rumspringer" (running around), have just the same sort of struggle. But, 99% leave the wild life and go back to a plain life. Maybe I am just old having my rumspringer !




Comments

Oh Patty, it is so nice to know that we are all human. I am part of the United Pentecostal Church, so I also believe that your hair is your glory. I am 27 years old and have never cut my hair in my life. Believe it or not, I have never been tempted, but I know that others struggle with this. You're such a sweet lady :) God said He wouldn't put more on us than we could bear and that means temptations and rebellion too. Did I just get preachy? That is not what I want to do. I just want you to know that I think you're an awfully big lady to admit your struggles to the world.
Alena said…
Patty, I do understand your struggles, I think I have kind of same personality as you... I also often try to discover and try out something new when feeling that may be I am missing on something...
I am always asking myself do I really live the type of life I am meant to? Was not there anything else or more for me planned by the God?
The hair affair - it will certainly grow... When I was a teenager I was having long long hair, I could not even think of cutting it as I really felt that a lot of my femininity comes out from that hair... I felt so comfortable and me with a long hair and then suddenly my feeling about it changed and I cut it, since then I wear it longer or shorter depending on my mood more than anything else... but I can perfetly understan Menonite or Amish view on this matter without judging it as an old fashioned or too strict... it is just the way it is... Bless you, Patty.
Finn said…
Oh Patty, I ache for your sturggle. I think human nature vs. Divine nature does that to us. We just can't always see the right bend in our path. I feel so honored that you shared your struggle with us. You have so much goodness within and around you, I know you will be alright, and come our just where you are suppose to be. I think you'll come down "just where you aught to be". But then I also hear, "when you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the storm".
Probably it's not the actual hair being gone, but the reality of what you did, and why. Hugs, hugs, and a couple more hugs, Finn
La Tea Dah said…
Patrica, we, your blogging friends, are with you as you travel the road of life and discover all it's nooks and cranny's. The glory will grow back. . .but for now. . .I know God has some lesson or experience to pass through as you live life with short locks. No matter how you look, or what perceived rebellion you have in your heart, your Heavenly Father loves you and faults you not! You are His precious daughter!

PS: Do we get to see a picture? I'd love one!
Sunny said…
Oh Pooh! You're glorious in any kind of hair! You always looked great in short hair. I LOVE short hair myself. I decided years ago-in college actually-that fussing around with long hair is simply not good stewardship of my God given time. Anyway, can't you just wear a head covering until it grows out if it's that big a deal in the community? Isn't this the same community that won't let you guys join quite all the way in? Serves them right if you cut your hair. Maybe it will be an example.
Rurality said…
It is very interesting to me, how some religions believe that women's hair should never be cut, while others believe that long hair is a vanity!

I remember from high school that having long hair that is also oily hair is a real pain in the patootie. Of course that was in the days before blow dryers, when you really did have to stay home to wash your hair!
Genuine Lustre said…
Patty - remember that Martin Luther said "Sin Boldly!"

I think women are succeptable to hair cuts because when we are dissatisfied with something else in life - weight, stress, etc - our hair is something we can change "today."

I lost about 18 inches of hair in January. It is still feminine, bra strap length now, instead of sit-upon length. I didn't realize what a heavy burden that hair was to carry around, but I do miss my long braid.
Patty, you need to get and read that book about An during WWII I just posted not too long ago on my blog. An was mennonite and the things she questioned and felt! I'm am so enthralled about how she survived her life and all the wonderful things she did for refugees and jewish children during the war - it is so emotional.

Popular Posts