Time for Meadow Tea



Meadow tea is something Mennonites and Amish drink lots of.
When we were a part of the Mennonite community we learned to love it. This recipe has NO measurements The name is from going to the meadow and picking stuff to put in a tea.
Its made many ways but always involves going out to the mint patch and picking a few kinds of mint. I have lots of apple mint and a few other kinds growing. Including chocolate mint.
I pick a bunch of the mint, assorted mostly. Although Apple mint alone is everyone's favorite. I wash it good, set a big pot of water on to boil, add some sugar to the water, then add the washed mint and let it simmer for a bit.

(I know its ready when the whole house smells minty) I strain it all with my milk filter,
the one used for filtering our goat milk ! Pour it into a gallon glass jar, add some additional water to make it come to a gallon, pour over lots of ice. So refreshing. I can be made with honey in place of sugar, but my family likes the sugar best. Its so nice to have on a hot summer day or just any sort of day.

Comments

La Tea Dah said…
I love this type of tea! My husband's job requires that he work outside in the heat even on the hottst days of summer. I send him off to work each day with 2 quart jars filled with Meadow Tea and ice cubes. My mint container gardens are kept right by my back steps so they are easy to pick from each day. The only thing I do different is that I sweeten my tea with the sweet herb, stevia. It is so refreshing and delicious! I wish we lived next door to one another, Patricia. It would be so much fun! We could talk over the back fence and share a cuppa tea together every day! :)
Finn said…
Oh Patty, apple mint..! I remember it well. Many years ago, my MIL bought a plant from a seed company, and when it reproduced she gave me some starts of it. I think it was one of the nicests mints I've ever used for tea. I used to dry it, and have it all winter.
Also used to dry raspberry leaves which are excellent with some lemon grass mixed in...*VBS* Thank you for sharing..*VBS* Hugs, Finn

P.S. I gotta get busy and do that block for you...sorry so slow.Do you have the others coming in? Any background color predominate??
Kathie said…
Apple mint sounds delightful - it's something I've never had, I'll have to look for some seeds. Around here are favorite tea combines the mint & raspberry leaves from the garden...

Popular Posts