A True Morning Ramble


Its 4:45 am and here I sit at the computer. Early morning is so peaceful. The darkness never seems so dark at this time of the day, I suppose since dawn is around the corner, it seems lighter even though it isn't. That is how our minds work.
The moon is right outside my window. Looks like a glowing orange slice. It seems perfectly cut in half. New leaves on the red oak tree swinging in front of the moons glow. Reminds me of hands held high at a concert, swaying.
My whole life I have been a deep thinker. Even as a child, I had so many questions about life.
I wake up each and every morning with one thing on my mind, besides getting socks on my feet so they don't freeze, and that is "what can I do today to make this day better for someone else? " Sounds rather ultraistic but it really is my thought upon waking.
I can't imagine we are here on earth to just exist for ourselves or even just our immediate families, or to just work and make money or stay home and spend money for that matter. There has to be a higher calling.
I remember reading in one of the Dalai Lama's books about the practice of looking at other people and their lives in a "trading spaces" concept. Imagine yourself in their life, living what they lived, having to deal what they deal with. Most of the time, we can clearly see why they act the way they do and then instead of getting ticked off by their behaviors, we can understand and have a bit of sympathy. At least more tolerance for their actions.
It makes it easier to step outside our comfort zone when we can have more understanding about our fellow man.
I am not trying to sound like I have all the answers. I don't. The only thing I have is a deep desire to live beyond myself. And a hope that others will try to also.
The one thing that appeals so much to people about Amish and Mennonite folks is their sense of community. No one is ever alone. Help is always right there. I miss that to be honest the most about not being part of the community. But we are slowly working on building a sense of community with people we know . A generation ago, there was extended families. Now we are all scattered. No Aunts to call on, no cousins to socialize with daily. No grandmothers in your homes. I had that as a child and miss it so much. My husband and I made the comment that we need to build a commune ! Each person having their own home, but having a communal garden, sharing knowledge and crafts, pot lucks, help ethic type group.
This is surely a ramble this morning. Jumping here and there, random thoughts being tossed on cyber paper as though they were confetti.
When it comes down to it, to sum it all up... reach out, extend yourself in person to someone. Look at others with compassion. Don't hold grudges. Seek understanding and build a network that gives you a sense of community. Maybe church, maybe some group, and always family !
The sun is coming up over the eastern horizon so its time for me to get to work. Life is good.


woodstove warming up the house. It feels like winter again.
hot Pero in a mug, ready to warm my hands
sweet potato pancakes for breakfast
Soft music in the background
love all around me
Birds singing and some feeding at the feeders
wool socks on my feet, my husbands warm sweater on, it smells like his cologne

me in the picture, thinking

Comments

Alena said…
I enjoyed your post, Patty, as usual, really lovely... thank you for sharing your thoughts...
Anonymous said…
I like the communal garden idea - everyone is so isolated these days. I definitely agree with your thoughts on trying to live a better life outside ourselves - charity begins at home but it doesn't end there :-)
kelly said…
hi Patty ... I enjoy reading your blog. I belonged to a Mennonite church during our time in PA and miss the sense of "family" and "community".
Hanne said…
I really enjoyed your post. You have a good way with words :-)
Genuine Lustre said…
Patty - I am lonely for community too. I"m the only person at home on my road in the daytime. My parents are in their RV in AZ, my in laws are in South Carolina for the winter. My friends are working or busy running their kids here and there. Throughout history, women spent their time surrounded by other mothers and babies. I crave that.

Popular Posts