The Weight of Why



In the quiet of the changing of day into night, as the sky turned the colors of softness, yet still vivid, I wondered if it mattered that I knew why the sky changed color. I wondered if it mattered why the flower was yellow or the day changed from light to dark. Did knowing why these things are the way they are, make me appreciate it more, enjoy it more, find more joy in it ? I don't think so.
I know its important to know facts and the hows and whys of things, but if I didn't know these things, how would it change my joy in the moment ?
This train of thought took me to the weight of importance on the "why" of a persons act of compassion to me. Does it matter to me what motivates a person to be compassionate? If an act of compassion is from a Buddhist, a Jewish person, an Islamic person, an atheist, a pagan or a Christian ? To be honest no, it doesn't.
Notice I used compassion and not kindness for they are indeed two different things. One can do an act of kindness for the glory it might bring them, the attention it may bring and even people have done deeds of kindness as a revenge sort of thing. Compassion on the other hand is almost always a selfless act that comes from the heart.
Just something I was thinking about. I hate that spiritual beliefs have made people intolerant of another belief system. It goes both ways so many times. The way I was taught in school has put that same intolerance deep inside me and I fight it all the time. At times this bigotry, and it is nothing other than that, for bigotry places one man higher than another, wants to come to the surface of my heart and I have to remember that love is the highest of callings.

Comments

Popular Posts