Storms from the south

In minutes, the air changes, cooler, filled with some element of tangible unsettled-ness. I felt a strange sort of anticipation for this storm. So many dragonflies...they seemed to be flocking towards some safer area. A large egret, fighting the winds to escape the rain filled clouds that were ready to break open. Leaves ripped from tree branches too soon, flying to the ground in round about ways, delaying their landing as long as possible. Sprinkling of rain first, then more and more drops fall, just as I make it to the back porch, it is pouring out. The rains explode the fragrance cells or whatever they are on the plants, the trees, the flowers, the grass and the soil, making the whole outdoors alive with fresh scents that draw you to raise your nose and sniff at the air, trying to identify what these wonderful scents are.
I love the rain today, it has turned this very room into a sepia scene. Taking on a touch of the old photograph look. Rain now falls in steady streams off the side of the house, falling below to the plants we have put in a row, to be watered by this run-off.
Just another ordinary day with extraordinary life bursting forth all around me.
Oh a bit of a p.s. here...that snake I was so worried about stepping on this morning, well when I went out to check the mail, there he was dead in the road, run over by a car or a truck. Guess I won't be worried about seeing him any more.

Comments

2 LMZ FARMS said…
I know that you are 'happy' about that snake. It just makes me shudder thinking about them. I really like your new look. Hope you and yours have a wonderful and blessed day.
Laura
Peggy said…
glad the snake is taken care of. Wish some of your rain would find its way here. have a blessed weekend
Teresa said…
I guess I'm weird, I feel sorry for the snake. I'm always glad to see the non-poisonous ones as they are usually aggressive against the actual dangerous ones. Last week, we stopped the van to chase one off the road so it wouldn't get hit!

I like your observations about the animals b4 the storm. Very descriptive.

I hope you have another great day, today.
Patty said…
I felt bad for the snake too, but at the same time glad he was no longer over head. It was a rat snake that happily kept the population of rodents under control around the feed bin areas.
Susan said…
I love the rain too. Will take it any time. The picture is wonderful. Glad to hear the snake is history.
Susan

Popular Posts