Show and Tell Friday

Finally bit the bullet and am going to join in the joy of Show and Tell Friday from Kelli's blog http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/
I thought about this a bit before I decided to do this, wondering what would be a good thing to share.
Here is a little story of childhood wonder...
When I was a little girl we had visited some historical sites, lots of them in New England, but this one had some archaeological digging going on and it fascinated me. I came home and wanted to dig up our back yard. My mother, who was very bright, decided that a shovel might "damage" any treasures so gave me a proper tool to dig with, a spoon ! Naturally this project was going to take a lot of time. Maybe the entire summer. I set to work, digging carefully by the back door of our Victorian home. Bit by bit I moved the hard soil, when suddenly I hit something.... with care but plenty of excitement I carefully removed the item...a tiny metal tea cup. I ran into the house yelling of my discovery. My mother told me years later that it shocked her that I found something and then for it to be a girls old toy was even more amazing. I cleaned the cup up, but would not scrub it or polish it for fear of damaging it. In my zeal, I headed back out for more digging and soon uncovered a tiny metal spoon to go with the tea cup. For the rest of the summer I dug into the soil with hopes of finding more treasures but to no avail. I had found two small items from the early 1900's. To this day they are still counted as treasures.

my tiny treasures, a cup and a spoon, the penny gives you an idea of their sizes

Comments

Kelli said…
I loved this story, Patty! I can just imagine you digging away as a little girl. The treasures you found are so sweet!
Kelli
LBP said…
How precious! I used to find "fried marbles" in our driveway when we moved to our "new to us" house in 1965. I can just see you with your spoon, digging away!
jodi said…
I am so glad that your mother had you dig with the spoon. Such cute treasures.
goatman said…
They could be silver. Anything ferrus (iron) would probably have been rusted to powder. An inspired story. I'm surprised that you are not an archeologist by now with that kind of encouragement. Such tiny items . . . wonder if there might have been a whole set?
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Barbara H. said…
Oh, my -- how sweet they are, and what a neat story!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts
Rowan said…
What a lovely story and the cup and spoon are a real treasure - how nice that you still have them. It's quite possible that goatman is right and that they are silver - but that isn't the important thing is it:)
Kim said…
WOW!!! What an interesting story. Thank you so much for sharing it with me. Now, I won't have such a tizzy when my kids want to dig in the back yard. Of course this house was built in 1965 and probably doesn't hold nearly the types of treasure you found.
Mary L. Briggs said…
What a sweet story! Those truly are a treasure. They are so tiny! Thanks so much for sharing.
Susan said…
What a wonderful story. What a smart mother you had. They are so tiny!!!
Susan
Marci said…
WOW, what a great story. They are darling Pat!!
Lana G! said…
What a great story! I loved that you mom was surprised that you found something!

Lana G!
http://airmiles.wordpress.com/
Amanda said…
Oh wow, those are adorable! I would have lost something that small by now!

Popular Posts