A Tough Day

Emery and I both could tell that Freckles had something wrong with her and today it was confirmed by the vet, she had Distemper. There was the shaking, and the conjunctivitis and more. We took the advice of many and had her put down so she wouldn't suffer with the seizures and the horror of the virus taking over her body. I sickness like that can happen when you adopt from an animal shelter. It wasn't the shelters fault and they have been wonderfully kind to me and I can go back and get another puppy when I want. I need some time, so not just yet. There are a few more tears to be shed for this sweet puppy. It was such a hard thing to do today.
Yeah, I know all about wise words and teachings about non attachment, not being attached to the things in our lives and how all life is temporary etc, but that sort of wisdom just feels like words right now. Yes, I have tried to live some aspects of my life with this sort of teaching but when it comes to family and to my pets, it just doesn't seem to work. On so many levels this philosophy works great and I appreciate the wisdom of it but not today, for this experience. But then non attachment is not about not loving something, its more about not having expectations attached to it. There is the hard part. I expected Puppy to be a big part of my life for a long time.
Here is a little definition of Non Attachment "
Non-attachment is a Buddhist philosophy that everything is impermanent, therefore we shouldn't try to form bonds with something and desire or crave it because, in reality, it won't be around forever and this desire blocks our way to enlightenment. Buddhists believe that desire causes suffering. Desire unfulfilled causes suffering, obviously, but even when we get what we want we're somehow left feeling unfulfilled and we want more. " ~Liz Copeland~
This puppy entered into my life for a short time, gave me great joy and that was the gift.

Just a bit of a P.S. here so I don't get into trouble... Just because I use a Buddhist explanation doesn't mean anything more than it is a way to explain the very difficult concept of accepting things.
Christ taught a powerful lesson on non-attachment in Matthew 8:21 Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
22 But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."

Not sure I could do that. I have seen so many Amish and Conservative Mennonite's accept death with such peace of heart, accepting that all things are gifts for as long as they are with us and then in memory.

Comments

nancyr said…
I'm so sorry that you had to loose your sweet little puppy. It is very difficult. I'm sure you brightened each other's lives in the short time you belonged to each other.
Thank goodness that we can bond with our pets. It brings such happiness to both the pets and their humans.
The Stricklands said…
Sweet Patty,
So often we think of what brightens our day - family, friends, and pets. But, I think we also need to remember that we do much to bring joy to everything around us. I think your precious puppy had a wonderful, wonderful life with you for the past few days. What a blessing to be loved unconditionally - even for a short time. It seems strange to me that by experiencing pain, our joys also increase. Maybe we don't take simple things for granted anymore. We have never met, but I love your wisdom, and you feel like a dear friend to me.
Love,
Mary
Marianna said…
Patty,

I'm so sorry about sweet Freckles. They work their way into our hearts so very quickly don't they?

Marianna
Beemoosie said…
Patty,
I am so sorry about your puppy. I am glad though that puppy had time with your family and did not get sick in the shelter. I am struggling with knowing that my 11 1/2 year old dog will be leaving us soon. Mary is right, we learn not to take love for granted.
HUGS
Bonnie
Marcie said…
Aw, poor little Freckles. I'm sorry for the loss of your pet, and all the possibilities of happy companionship she represented to you.

with huge hugs of sympathy,
Aisling
~Bren~ said…
Ooooh Patty. Big ((((hugs))))!! What a hard thing. I am certain it would be impossible mot to attach yourself to that precious little pup. I think you have made a wise choice in taking some time to heal. Thankfully little Freckles did not suffer at all. I am praying for you. Blessings~
Jan said…
Oh Patty,
I am so sorry.
Shan said…
Patty,

I am just so sorry about Miss Freckles. I think that it is very natural and kind to care deeply for our pets. I know that my heart has grieved whenever we have lost a precious furry friend.

Big hugs from far away,
Shan
Honey Hill Farm
Aunt Jenny said…
Oh Patty. I have been there. Losing even a puppy that you have had for a short time hurts. No way around it. (((hugs)))))
I am so sorry to hear about your little Freckles. You did the right thing.
pomo housewife said…
There is nothing wrong with feeling sadness and grief. Let yourself experience it, and move on when you are ready. Isn't clinging to happiness a kind of attachment in itself?

Those who frown on sadness as a response to life must also frown on happiness, because it is just as transient and meaningless.

It's good that you were able to give this puppy love and care in her short life.
Oh my I am so sorry about the puppy! i understand how hard it is to loose a pet. My heart and prayers are with you!
Anna said…
Dear Patty, I'm so sorry you lost your beloved puppy today. It's one thing to form an attachment with "things," and completely something else to become attached to a "living thing." I believe those two are very different ideas. I also believe that God put animals on earth so we could take care of them, enjoy them, and love them. So, please try not to beat yourself up for loving a beautiful animal so much. You did the right thing. And you did the kind thing by letting her go.

Namaste,
Annabelle
R. Aastrup said…
I'm so sad for you to lose this puppy after such a short time. My youngest sister's family is grieving over their cat of 9 years they had to put to sleep yesterday afternoon. Many tears. It's never easy.
Unknown said…
Im sorry to hear about poor Freckles, but you gave her a good home while she was here. Dont feel bad about feeling bad, dogs arent objects, they are friends. You can be sad about losing your friend. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
rosellafan said…
Patty, so sorry to hear about Freckles... we would feel the same way about our cats Tom and Frank...they are part of the famly now...Freckles will always hold a special place in your heart...

Sincerely,
Paula
Sunny said…
Oh Honey, how hard. Our condolences.
Patty said…
Thanks for the call Sunny !
Lucy said…
I'm so sorry to hear this. I know it must be a hard desicion. Take care.
Dear Patty,

In my life I've had several dogs die and it's always heart-wrenching. It's real grieving,and he was part of your family even though Freckles was not with you long. You have a loving heart. I'm so sorry his life with you was so short, but glad you had some time together.
Nan said…
I am so, so sorry. Gosh, I thought the days of distemper were over because of the shots. Oh, how sad for you. And this is why I wouldn't make a very good Buddhist. I am attached. That's it. My heart is with you, dear Patty.
JenJen said…
I'm really sorry about Freckles. You made the only compassionate choice. She was with you as long as it was meant to be, and now she has moved on, in peace.

One day, you will find another dog to love, and that dog will love you for as long as you are together, just like little Freckles.

Blessings.
~JM
JenJen said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts