Sunday Morning Chores





Nothing quite as pretty as the rich brown soil ready to plant. Years of enriching our soil has paid off, it so easy to work with. We have been organic for 16 years on this land and proud of it. Nearly 1/2 planted now.
Chicks feathered out
Duckings growing so fast
Nutmeg showing off her best side : )
Cinnamon and Nutmeg both enjoying the sunshine
A true impressionistic sky
Farm Sounds
by Eleanor Elkins
Oh, the sounds of the farm, I remember them well,
The echoing tones of the big dinner bell,
The humming of bees when the buckwheat's in bloom,
The swish on the porch of a bustling broom...
Bright laughter of little ones high in a swing,
Lilt of a meadowlark, there on the wing,
The lowering of cattle down by the creek,
Shouting of children who play hide-and-seek.
I can still hear the chicks, the coo of a dove,
The plop of the churn...these are sounds that I love,
The mewing of kittens up in the hay,
Creak of the windmill late in the day...
The whirr of a mower cutting some clover,
A soft lullaby when the day's about over,
The galloping sound of a horse as he nears...
Oh, farm sounds will ever be sweet to my ears
.

Comments

Dawn said…
Oooo...I hope to come visit your farm...soon.. :-)
I want to pet all the animals...and take you and your husband out to dinner. :-)
I actually may have some free time when I down to Texas for that week coming up. Maybe we can meet up. The rental car place said I have unlimited mileage within Texas, so wooohooo!!!

Hope you and your beloved have a glorious Sunday!
Hugs!
Kath Mattus said…
What beatiful black dirt your garden has! We live in TN, and the soil needs a LOT of amendment, as it is mostly clay.
Are the chicks Rhode Islands? I have a diverse flock ie: Rhode Islands, Wyndottes, Black Sexlinks (son's 4H project), and Americaunas. We'll be busy early this week preparing for the 25 pullets coming at week's end, more Americaunas. I love those green/blue eggs...they hard boil/peel easier, imho.
Sorry to have rambled on...Blessings!
Kath
Margo in Maine said…
Just found you and really enjoy the simplicity of your site. I live on a small farm in Maine...hubby raises beef...have had many of the small animals o over the years...enjoyed your inspirational touch.
LBP said…
Oh how I envy your soil! I have been working on ours for years but its very hard to amend red clay. I am glad you decided to keep your blog open. I would sincerely miss it.

Blessings

Linda
Patty said…
I sure hope you can fit in a visit with us Dawn.

Popular Posts