A New Season

Today is the first day of Spring...a new season. Some of us are putting in gardens and some of are shovelling snow still. Regardless of that, the calender tells us it's a new season all the same. Isn't life a bit like that. We don't all age the same, we don't all reach life goals at the same speed . . You can really see this played out in the conversations of young mothers. "My baby crawled at 5 months" sort of thing. In the end, most babies end up crawling at some point and in the years to come, the timing of such an event is meaningless. Same for the seasons, they come in time, when they are ready !
I feel a bit scattered today, I am worried about Mei-Ling, she is loosing weight, not eating real well but then she is getting her two top teeth and you can just tell she is miserable about it. But, with her health issues, everything has an undercurrent of worry... the "what if it is more" syndrome. The worry factor that mothers know so well and it seems Grandmothers know even better. It feels a bit like how I felt after bringing Melanie home from the hospital, a wee girl of 7. We came so close to loosing her from Diabetes. After days in I.C.U. and a bit longer in the pediatric ward, we got to bring her home and we watched her every move with a keen, new understanding how fragile life is. Checking on her at night to make sure she was still breathing, our minds quietly rehearsing what to do "if" this or that took place. Mei-Lings health reminds me of that, and I know in time, you feel a bit more secure, a bit more normal, that is until they get sick, or look a little tired or loose a bit of weight. Then the fear creeps in and you fight it, knowing fear is built on "if's" and "if" is a word with no reality in it at that moment in time, it is only a maybe, a powerful uncertainty.
Well, this has turned into a rather "down" post for the first day of spring. But maybe it's about the reality of seasons in life. Life is full of season changes.
I can hear the birds singing outside my window. A mockingbird and a cardinal. In the sandy spot of soil in the neighbors land, morning doves peck at the pebbles looking for something to eat.
The morning sun has created a light and shadow masterpiece on the grass. A few white blossoms remain on the plum tree. The goats are in the pasture waiting for me to give them their grain. Just in looking out the window at the marvelous colors and the constant of natures beauty, I feel calmer, the worries lessened by seeing Gods handiwork. His gift is peace.

Nothing says spring to me like this photo of Annikes little buck kid, jumping for joy



Comments

Dana and Daisy said…
the picture of the goat gives me joy too. I'm a new reader so I don't know the background on Mei Ling, but I have compassion for you and your daughter and grandbaby. Prayers for her renewed health.
I understand the bittersweet joys of loving a medical fragile child. My Colton is now 10 and even the most beautiful well days are tempered with the uncertainty that we may lose this precious time at any moment. It is a daily battle not to give in to those feelings knowing that to do so is only self-defeating and will sacrifice the gift of TODAY that we have so graciously been given.

I have a little list of medically fragile children that I've met a long the way. A list that I pray for daily and I'll be adding little Mei-Ling's name to our list. She is a darling! And she is blessed to have such a loving and caring grandmother!

Be blessed dear sister,
Lea
~Bren~ said…
Wonderful post, Patty. I will keep Mei Ling in my prayers. You are so right in the worry factor, though God is God and we can cast our worries on Him.
Marci said…
It is so hard to just leave Mei Ling in God's hands and not worry. I can't imagine what it is like to watch her and wonder if there is something deeper going on. All, I can say is to just keep going to the Lord and asking Him to help you all lean on Him. There are lots of people praying for that wee one!!! =)
Shan said…
Patty,

It is so hard not to worry about our loved ones! I will send up a special prayer for sweet Mei-Ling and ask for her healing.

Yours in prayer,
Shan
Honey Hill Farm
Anna said…
Hi Patty, Happy Spring! Great post today, as always. Love the pic of the kid and your quilt on the line is simply gorgeous. All my favorite colors! I will keep Mei Ling in my prayers. Easter blessings to you and your family.

Popular Posts