So much for Spring


Its been snowing for about an hour now, with more to come. I think Winter decided to make a statement.
I walked outside in the cold, camera in hand, breathing in that cold silence that comes with snow falling gently against the night sky. Snow was sticking to my hair and on my jacket. My long skirt wicking up the wet snow that lay on the ground. My red mud boots now appearing to have white toe tips. Freckles frolicked in this wet white that fell from the sky with puppy wonder. The new garden, all plowed, captured the white in tiny mounds of cold powdered sugar snow.
I wanted to stay out longer but my hands got cold and I found myself wishing for long johns.
The woodsmoke curled in the wind, filling the air with a hickory smoked scent. I felt as if I was the only person enjoying this rare March snow.
Picking up Freckles, heading up the back steps and through the back door, supper smells made the house feel so welcoming, as if I had been gone a long time. Soup that simmered all day long, cornbread baked golden and still warm gingerbread sitting on the table, tea towel covering it lightly. Emery said it was an exceptional meal, warmed him to the bone which is just the kind of food one needs when wind and snow swirl and sting your face.

Comments

Marci said…
I know you have been wanting snow. I hope you enjoy it while it is there. It will be gone soon enough!!!
Anonymous said…
I want some! My poor kids have not had the snow that they have been praying for this year!
Nickie said…
Snow is beautiful. And i've been extra blessed with it this year. I'm willing to share but you have to dig your own ;) Would of loved some of your homeade soup. I've not had time to cook in a couple weeks its been so hectic.
Lynn Hasty said…
I wanted to introduce myself to you and tell you how glad I am I stumbled across your blog. I have four children, homeschooling some or all of them every year for the past 10 years. We live on a small 1/3 acre but grow a lot of flowers and are looking to grow even more vegetables. We are also hoping to get 3-4 chickens soon. Your blog is most encouraging!

Lynn
rosellafan said…
Patty, I found your site a few days ago and I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed reading and looking at all your wonderful pictures! Your blog today about the snow is just so full of sights, sounds, smells, etc. I did the soup and cornbread thing yesterday with Oreida Potatoes O'Brien, chicken broth and peppered white gravy mix...it was sooo good! I am retired now and my children are all on their own and have their own lives and homes...my husband Dave is still working so I spend lots of time at home by myself now. I am so glad to have found your site!

Sincerely,
Paula Westbrook
Jackson, Tennessee
Dana and Daisy said…
The snow missed us, but just a few miles away they reported 5 inches! I'm glad it did not fall like they expected as my husbands daughter will travel tomorrow.

I'd like to get snowed in at my cabin some day as long as the heat is on and there is plenty of yummy warm food on hand. It is very hilly there and the roads close when weather is bad. But I bet it is beautiful with snow!
R. Aastrup said…
Oh dear, Patty! Just when you almost had summer! The weather has been crazy this year, hasn't it?!!
Patricia said…
Don't you love that crisp feel when you step into a night of snow? It always makes me smile...
Now I want some soup and cornbread!
Patricia

Popular Posts