Snow

Sun coming up The little fella seems to follow me around


This is part of our newly tilled garden spot
Shepherds purse

Some background for you, we have already had one day where the temperature was 92. So having 20 degree wind chill and snow is really a big deal for us in March. With nary an inch on the ground, people are all excited and the air is filled with happy children's voices as they are busy outside making tiny snow men.
Some areas of North Texas had 9 inches of snow yesterday so our news was on non stop. More news coverage for the snow than for the primaries last Tuesday !
I was sorely disappointed when no snow fell here in our town yesterday and all around us there was a "blizzard" raging. But, in the wee hours of the morning, snow fell here. A perfect white lacy blanket covered the earth around 4 this morning, but no matter how much I love snow, there was no way I was heading out at that hour to take pictures. I settled for 7:30. The goats were running around like "kids" in the snow, oh wait they are kids ! It was fun to watch their antics. Emery had the fire roaring when I came in and it sure felt good. I snapped a picture of the stove while my lens was all fogged up.
Snow is just a natural occurrence, part of winter for many in the world, yet it fills us with awe, and silence. It is almost prayerful or meditative in its purity. The way it covers everything with sparkling beauty. Well, maybe not in New England in February, after it lays in huge mounds that are a dirty kind of gray in color.
I am thankful for this burst of winter, this moment in time when so many fun childhood memories feel close at hand. Wet hand knit mittens on the radiator, bright variegated yarn, strings attached. A snow ball in the freezer for later, the wooden igloo block maker my father made for us, hours of trying to actually make an igloo. Forts and snow ball fights. Hot chocolate with mounds of raspberry fluff in it. How good the warm floors felt after pulling off rubber boots, shoes still in them and filled with snow. Rosy cheeks and hair wild uncovered when you take off my stocking hat, the one my mother knit for me, I told her to make it "the longest one in the world" and it must have come close to that.
I still feel that childlike excitement over snow, and when the wind blows, or the stars sparkle exceptional bright on a dark night.


Comments

Popular Posts