More Precious Than Gold


This morning I woke early but lingered in bed to think and to pray. I was thinking about how many of my parents generation and now my generation have moved into retirement villages, places where their children have to sign in to stay a couple days, where children are only allowed at the community pool during certain hours and where the concept of generations blending is looked upon as some sort of thing to get away from. More and more of these adult communities are springing up all over the place, a place to get away from your children, from children in general as if they are just some sort of nuisance and not the blessings of life. If your children are not a blessing to you in your old age, why is that ? Is selfishness and pride keeping you from accepting them when they are less than perfect ? The world these days is a hard place to grow up in, children are bombarded with ugliness and attitudes that don't exactly foster kindness and selflessness and sometimes those attitudes came homegrown ! So often parents shout things like "shut up" or "go play, I am busy" to their children on a daily basis and then expect kindness and patience in return as they themselves grow to the place where they need help or a listening ear. Children do live what they learn from us and turning and running to some community for adults only, running from a place where we can say by our lifestyle, we want to be part of your life, we want to show our grandchildren or the neighbor children for that matter, that life is not just about "us" and our interests. All that talk about the generation gap, well we are sealing that deal with our demand for these children free communities !
I think about my dear grand-babies and what a joy it will be to have them part of our lives, to sing to them, to have them hear Grandpa ask the blessing before our meals with his strong but tender loving voice. To have a home where they can dash through Grammies front door any time, not even knock, not have security gates to drive through, with signs telling about all the rules regarding having children visit. We want to be accessible at any time. Lives bound together by a sense of family, generational love, The kind of heartstrings that bind us together with kindness that will reach from generation to generation. Family, that will always have time for one another. Sure, its not always an easy thing, but its a worth while thing. There is something very golden about wanting to spend time with your children and their children, more than spending time with friends or sitting in a club house with a bunch of people you hardly know. To those with children not living close to them, forget the senior community scene. When you retire, move to be close to your children and your grandchildren and share your life with them. If your children don't want you to be near them, then spend some time finding out why that is and begin mending those fences without resentment or blame or any hint of a defensive attitude on your part and start building anew.
Proverbs 17:6 Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.
This mornings sunrise
Chilly enough for a good fire in the stove, and the kettle on for tea
Just a little note here about having close loving family. Melanie in her haste yesterday forgot to bring her syringes for her shots. Steven went to the pharmacy, picked some up for her and drove 45 miles or so from his home to the hospital and handed them to his sister. Rather than have her have to leave the baby and make the long trip home to get them. It brought tears to my eyes to see such brotherly love.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lovely and encouraging post!
Michele said…
I so agree with this post. Living in a retirement area I hear stories like this all the time, and see the retirees in stores and elsewhere being "cared for" by their nurses. I understand that the Sandwich Generation has to work and therefore hires help but it makes me wonder how much time they actually spend with their elder relatives, and if they're concerned about how they are being treated. Just breaks my heart.
sulli said…
Reading what Steven did for his sister, brings tears to my eyes as well. My family is close like that and would do anything for each other, but it saddens me to realize that is not the normal behavior for most families today. You and I are blessed to be part of families like that.
~Bren~ said…
Brotherly love is true love. I was very touched by what your sone did for his sister.
Wonderful post.
JacquiG said…
You must have done something remarkable when you were raising your children. The love your family feels for each other shines through your posts.

Unfortunately we are in a position of not being geographically close to some of our family. DHs children (and grandson) do not live on this continent, nor does my Mum. My son lives 1.5 hours away from us and us both with working full time, and with the schedule DS keeps, we don't see him very often at all. All this makes me a little envious of the closeness of your family.
ellemenope said…
Patty, I wish so much that I had the courage to send your post to my mom. I've had such a hard time with her lately, but what hurts me the most is how she has pushed aside her granddaughters to focus on her own selfishness. My heart hurts for my little girls every day. Even when she would still see them, it was always me that would ask her, she would never call and ask to have them for a while, and she would act like she was doing me a huge favor to be with them for an afternoon. Always, always when I came to pick them up they were plopped in front of the TV. No interaction, no fun activities. I resolve to be the type of grandmother you are someday and I tell my girls that I can't wait to be a Nana to their children and that they will never have to ask me to bring their children over, that my door will always be open with loving arms.

Thank you for this! Now I have to go find some kleenex because I am just bawling!
The Stricklands said…
Such wise words. I never believed, as many "professionals" suggested, that sibling rivalry is a normal thing. We never allowed our oldest three to quarrel, encouraged them to speak gently and to love one another. We are now able to sit back and reap the benefits of grown children who truly love one another and who want to spend time with each other. I love being a mom to such wonderful adults. Still praying for sweet baby girl!
Mary
Lucy said…
I'm praying for this precious girl
I agree with you so much about this, Patty. It's the way my family is. We are always a little shocked when we are invited to a "family" wedding where they say "no children". Being part of all these events and of each others lives is what makes them know what a wonderful thing a family is from the inside....And hats off to Steven and his generous heart.

Popular Posts