The Beauty of A Quiet Walk



Even when my children were small, daily walks were common. Often times we would make them part of our science project and combine that with an English assignment. Writing about what they saw, felt, sensed and what they had learned about some item, and now, no children in tow, I still think about what my senses are experiencing on my walks or simply listen for that still small voice of God.
I am in awe of the wisteria by the chicken house, it is so fragrant and so vibrant in color. Today it was alive with bee's at work. I got right up in between the branches, bees above me, beside me and below me. If they were annoyed by my presence they never let on.
By my feet, the two ducklings enjoyed their first day of freedom and you could tell they felt a bit overwhelmed and followed me or the rooster around as if we were their parents. The barn cats were trying to decide if they were meant as a meal or not.... a few pecks from those able duck bills and they got it figured out pretty fast. The world around me today just seems quiet and simple...not a moment of stress or worry. Good smells from the oven seeping out the back door and finding me, reminding me that my walk must draw to a close. Clothes flopping in the breeze on the line as I pass by them and climb up the back door steps. The screen door slamming behind me, a sound I have grown to love.

Comments

The pictures are wonderful1 I enjoyed my walk with you today.
Marci said…
I am hoping and praying my wisteria blooms this year. It tried to bloom for the first time, 2 years ago. Then we had a late freeze and the buds didn't survive. Last year it froze just as the buds started. Please Lord, this year!!!
grbev said…
When I was a young girl and the carnival came to the coal mining town I lived in, I won a baby duck with the toss of a dime. I was so excited to bring it home. I tried keeping it in an area of our basement covered with newspapers and a confining little fence. My, they are messy little animals. I finally gave it to my uncle who had a farm. It was a cute little pet and loved to be held and bury its little head in my long hair and sleep. I'm glad my mother was the type that would let me keep it, at least for a little while!

I had forgotten about the sound of a screen door and cats hanging on the outside waiting to be fed! Maybe I need to get another screen door.

Bev
Mrs. Darling said…
We are a long way from irises and sunshine. Our rainy season lasts through the month of June! It seems forever some years! I cant beleive you're picking asparagus already! Lucky you!
The Stricklands said…
Hi sweet Patty,
I just checked my computer and read the wonderful news about Mei-Ling. God is so good! Beautiful pictures of your day.
Mary
Teresa said…
Hi, Patty,

Beautiful and inspiring photos as usual.

Don't forget about Earth Hour tonight! What will you be doing? Having a candlelight dinner or knitting by oil lamp? I look forward to your post on it. You sounded so excited when you first heard about it.
Janette said…
Flowers?
We are definately still in the still of winter- not even a crocus yet.
I am looking for some plants that can take some real heat this summer though....anything Midwestern:>)

Popular Posts