Count Your Blessings Monday

Count your blessings Monday



Monday mornings its a good time to think about the blessings we have, the things that are extraordinary even within the label of ordinary. I wonder really if such a thing as ordinary exists, I am inclined to think not. Even the most mundane tasks are extraordinary if you think of the way the brain functions for us to do such a task. If it takes no real thought, then the brain is amazing enough to let us coast on autopilot when the task is routine.
I was outside doing my chores, thankful for a new day. The things I did were daily chores for the most part, not requiring a lot of brain power so I could think, think about the blessings in my life.
Such as. . .
Melanie's strength. Although right now in her life, things are so difficult, Casi out of work, his former employer fighting his unemployment, even though they never ever wrote Casi up for anything. Mei-Ling in the hospital so sick. They don't have much money coming in to pay bills. Meals at the hospital cafeteria are expensive so they are not eating much. Melanie has a new job working part time, but is not getting paid for sitting at Mei-Lings bedside. Melanie is a brittle diabetic, so her own health is not good. Buying the right foods to maintain her blood sugars properly is difficult without much money. It's a hard situation. We are doing our part to help them out of course. But, the thing that I see as such a blessing, is the strength I see in Melanie. It is amazing. She doesn't complain, doesn't cry "woe is me" but just takes one step after another.
Another big blessing is the staff at Cook Children's Hospital. What compassionate, caring people work there and care for so many sick children.
As I worked outside I thought about what a blessing it is to have land to garden and space to raise critters.
It is a blessing to have dirty fingernails and boots caked in soil.
It is a blessing that I thought to put a pocket in my slip, perfect for holding my cell phone during this time when Mei-Ling is sick. I am sure it would fall out of an outer pocket while I am planting but a deep inner pocket works great.
It is a blessing to find asparagus popping up already
and wisteria in bloom.
To have children that bless my life with their love and kindness.
It is a blessing to sleep soundly and peacefully
It is a blessing to hear Emery's voice on the other end of the phone during the day.
It is a blessing that God promises to care for us and make our bread sure.

Comments

Marci said…
You are truly blessed. We can all look at the negative things in life, but I agree with Chuck Swindoll that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% your attitude with it.

Thanks for taking part!!
The Stricklands said…
You have such a precious family. I know that Melanie's strength comes partly from having such wonderful examples in you and Emory. I will continue to pray for Casi to find a job that is fulfilling to him and allows him to provide richly for his sweet family. Enjoy your day! It is beautiful here in our part of Texas.
Mary
Vicky said…
Miss Patty, I was watching a show on Mother Theresa and she said the following ""Rendition is giving God what he is willing to take and accepting the place in which he wants us to be. Once we take what he gives us and accept it, then we can be truly free."
Tough one...and she trully mastered it!!!!!! Sounds like your daughter understands the concept :)
Wonder who taught her :)
By the way....it is a wonderful Spring day in CT today, crispy air and all...I know you'll know exactly what I mean.

PUSH (pray until something happens!)

Vicky Lockwood (yep, I'm an "adopted" Lockwood)
Mimi said…
and your blog is a blessing to me...I get such an uplift from reading of your day to day happenings...
I am praying for Mei-Ling's surgery tomorrow...
Mimi
Jthemilker said…
You seem to be able to keep the focus and in the midst of a lot of unknowns still remain thankful for your blessings. God bless you! I can sympathize with Mei-Ling as I had a nephrostomy when I was 25. It was NOT pleasant. I shall pray for her... for peace and healing.

Popular Posts