My Confession

Am listening to Josh Groban and the song of that title came on and I thought, "great title for my post". My confession is that although we live rather a simple life, it is 100% choice and has nothing to do with our income. It may have started out somewhere in between choice and limits set by one income and 4 children ! It has become our lifestyle. We still choose to live in a way that we can feel is ethical for us, no holier-than-thou attitude here. Don't take it that way. We all live to our own conscience. And its not the same for all of us. I am speaking only about how Emery and I personally view things.
As the children finished college and got married our expenses went down, our income increased too but regardless we find ourselves living much the same way as we always have which allows us to help our adult children , not in a spoiling way but in a way that just gives them a bit of a head start. Life is a struggle when you are just starting out and its nice to be able to help them where we can. I could go out and buy just about anything I wanted, but I don't want much and Emery is the same way. We could hire a gardener, a maid if we wanted to but we value the blessing of physical labor and to be truthful we are very independent folk.
We could go out an buy a bigger, newer house, but this is home. This is all we need and want.
Love fills each room of this house. Memories are cherished in this home. The children can come here and feel its home, not just mom and dads place. They can still hear the same creaking floors and hear the back door slam as they go out to see the goats. It is the old homestead !
We have been years and years without debt. I mean totally out of debt. No house payment, no car payment, that sort of out of debt. So our bills are just the utilities and we keep them pretty low. It's something we worked for, had as a goal way back in our early years. Emery said when he was in his 30's that he was going to have a house paid for by the time he was 52 and he certainly reached that goal.
My confession is that I am not living this way because of financial constraints and somehow have just have learned to make do. My confession is that I love this simple life. I love the fact that our lifestyle has always been a choice, a choice to be a one income family and a choice to be aware of the environment and the need to teach our children that "work is love made visible".
One more thing, I write knowing I am heading out to the store to do some clothes shopping. In need of some personal improvement clothes...the kind that makes you feel pretty : ) There is balance in living spherically (very big grin)

The Mystic River that runs through Medford, Massachusetts, the town I grew up in. Paul Revere stopped on his Midnight Ride, across the street from the buildings on the left side of the picture on that important night on April 18th, 1775. Picture was taken 2 years ago when I was home on a visit.

Comments

Julian said…
that is so awesome. We are trying to learn how to do without, because although husband makes good money, the 6 kids take it ! We live a certain way, because we have to. But your experience is great, because you are able to teach your children and grandchildren the value of things. And that true happiness does not come from running to the store to buy the newest gadget, or whatever. It comes from God, and family. I think many many Americans need this. I long for this kind of life away from the rat race. To learn, and teach my children to learn to be content with the things they have, instead of being miserable over the things they dont.
Carole said…
I learned to do without during my deprived years as a student. Do I resent this ? Not one bit !! Those were the years, in spite of the lack of money : I learned the value of things, of having to work and getting a reward for it, and I was surrounded by marvelous friends who were more or less in the same situation as mine. I have wonderful memories of huge meals we organised together, in the common kitchen of the University dormitory ; it was always very simple -based on pasta ! but homemade pasta with different recipes each time. The food was good but what made it even more special was the friendship and good atmosphere, shared by people from all over the world (there were students from Vietnam, Togo, even one from Afghanistan and others from all over Europe) ; now that I make a living and could afford many more things, I realise I don't want them, I have all I need : my husband and my daughters, and they're irreplaceable.
nancyr said…
I had the same goals that you did, and I had the house, and the last $25,000. on my mom's house paid for in my early fifties, which enabled me to quit working at a job that caused major stress. Shopping at Goodwill, cooking from scratch, canning garden produce, etc. was not drudgery, it was fun, and kept me focused on my goals. I drove my paid-for car for 12 years, and then gave it to one of my kids, and paid cash for a year-old program car that I now drive. We live very well on one income, and are able to help others, and start college funds for grandchildren. I'm not talking about having a lot of money, it is just managing well, what you have.
You are so right. You just have to decide on a lifestyle that is right for you, and manage well.
Dana and Daisy said…
Hi Patty, I took my aunt some new gowns the other day and a new pair of pants and blouse. She about cried and said she didn't have many pretty clothes. I said "well, why not Aunt Rosie? You could have them if you want them?" She said it just seems so hard to turn loose of the money that she and my uncle worked so hard to save all those years. Bless her heart!

One of my favorite sayings I remember from a piggy bank I used to have, said, "The greatest wealth is contentment with a little."

I would so rather have a husband who is not pressured to make a big mortgage and pay the car loans than a cranky guy who resents going to work every day just to give us a lavish lifestyle.
JenJen said…
This is what my BF and I aspire to: Life on our own terms and not as slaves to the system.

I only have my mortgage, and he only has his car payment. No credit cards or whacky credit lines for us.

Right now, we are simplifying mostly out of necessity; however, we are also trying to green our home and lives and probably would not change any of that if we had more money.

~JM

Popular Posts