Another Family Favorite, Simple Food

My mothers, mother was from Nova Scotia . A long line of Loyalists that left the U.S. and were awarded Kings Grants there for their loyalty to Britain. These were the very descendants of the pilgrims that arrived on the Mayflower. Our meals were greatly influenced by the simple meals eaten along the Noel Shore in N.S. I grew up loving haddock. Its one of the first meals I seek out when I head back east.
My grandmother used to make us Creamed Finnan Haddie. It seems like you either love it or hate it. No middle ground for this meal. Its a sort of creamed smoked haddock.

Ingredients for Creamed Finnan Haddie
1 pound finnan haddie
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons Argo or Kingsford's Cornstarch
1/3 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon paprika
Few drops onion juice
1 teaspoon minced parsley (optional)
1 pint milk

Instructions
Pour boiling water over the finnan haddie, let stand two or three minutes, drain and flake.
Add the oil then the cornstarch, and seasonings and gradually stir in the milk.
When boiling, add the parsley or onion juice and serve on toast, split Tea Biscuit, boiled rice or with boiled or baked potatoes.
My great grandmother Harriet Amelia Densmore Hines born 1846 died 1934 mother to 9 children, she is standing outside the family home, that is still in the family !
Noel, Nova Scotia

Comments

Carolyn said…
Oh, my gosh Patty. I had completely forgotten about Finnan Haddie. My grandmother was from County Cork. My mother made this for us. I'm afraid I'm in the "hate" camp, but thanks for the memories.
Patty said…
yup, it really is a love or hate kind of meal : )
I love this and my mother used to make it (in northeast Ohio), but I haven't seen it for sale for years.........Do you know where to get it?
Patty said…
Hi Kristi,
Click on the words finnan haddie and you come up with a company that sells it. I think Vermont country store sells it too, but I am pretty sure its from the company I have linked

Popular Posts