Garden Eating

I just got in from working out in the garden. What fun it has been eating all the wonderful things springing forth from the land. It's such a pleasure to fix a meal and then be able to say..."everything is from our garden". There is a level of satisfaction in that, that transcends words. It is like a deep joy. We don't eat much meat, so meals are often a variety of vegetables . We ever have eaten much meat and go long periods of time as total vegetarians. I think one time we added up how much beef we ate when the children were in their teens and it came to something like 25 lbs for the 6 of us for a year ! We have mostly maintained a vegetarian diet and my children still do. They might eat meat when they go out on occasion but not sure my girls even know how to cook a steak, but they sure can whip up a good vegetarian meal with no problem at all. We do eat fish and every couple months or so I cook some chicken.
Right now Stevens favorite thing is a chocolate tofu pie that I have made for years. It is super simple to make. I think Priscilla makes several a week for him.
We lived in Oregon the first time I tasted this pie, it was made with carob, which we all love. From the moment we got the recipe we have enjoyed this as a treat quite often.

Chocolate or Carob Tofu Pie
Either make or purchase a graham cracker crust, to the blender or food processor add 2 blocks of silken firm tofu and 2-4 tablespoons of maple syrup (agave nectar works well too) and blend until smooth. If you are using a blender, do half at a time or even less. In a small saucepan, melt 1 package of natural chocolate or carob bits. When completely melted blend in with the tofu. Make certain its blended well. Pour into the pie shell and refrigerate for several hours before serving. The flavor get better with time. I try to make it the day before we plan on eating it. Top if you wish with some soy whip.

I am ever so thankful for what I learned as a child and through my adult years while in the Seventh Day Adventist church regarding health. Healthy eating and living is a big part of that religion and we have benefited well from it. In our little town, there are lots of gardens growing, lots of folks enjoying meals full of the bounty of the earth.

Comments

Cat said…
You make me hungry with your garden pictures and posts about food! I'm not vegetarian or even close but think I could be with your cooking! ;) We're still working on the gardening thing, though...we're in SW Oklahoma and I have yet to have a really good garden. Not sure what all I'm doing wrong but I've been attempting it for 10 years now and never have had enough to put by. I'll live vicariously through you!

Popular Posts