Corn Syrup Substitute Recipe

This is one of the most looked at posts on my blog so I thought I would repost it.
I have been on the "no corn syrup campaign" for years now and feel very strongly about its use in so many food items. We just don't eat stuff with it.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Corn Syrup Substitute Recipe
The consumption of corn syrup has been linked to many health issues. Its shocking to see how many food items have the gooey stuff in it.Before the advent of corn syrup, plain old sugar syrups were made. Sugar is not the best thing for you but its better than corn syrup. Around here, folks drink what is called Dublin Dr Pepper, made with sugar like it was in the old days. The stuff just simply tastes better. This is true Dr Pepper country. The home of Dr Pepper, Dublin, Texas is just a ways down the road from here, about 60 miles or so.Anyway, here is a recipe to make your own substitute for corn syrup. With so many holiday recipes calling for the corn syrup, its time for me to be making a few batches of the good old fashioned sugar syrup.

LIGHT CORN SYRUP SUBSTITUTE
2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. water
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Dash of salt
Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage. Stir often.
Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months. Makes almost 2 cups.

Comments

Angelena said…
Thanks for the recipe. I have heard terrible things about corn syrup. It is in almost everything.
The dB family said…
Wow! I'm going to have to research corn syrup! I just figured it ranked in the same "Bad Department" as sugar.

This recipe sounds great! I will have to make it VERY soon as we have two events that I have to bring desserts for. Do you think it will work for butter tarts?
Patty said…
Yes, Deborah, I think it should work just fine for butter tarts...oh butter tarts sound so good to me, haven't had them in years.

Popular Posts