Having The Outside Match The Inside

My life is pretty simple and that has been our goal for many years, to live simply. To not need so much of what the media makes you think you need. To pass by the must haves and realize that there are so many must do's out there that cost nothing but give so much in return. Once you realize you don't need the extras in life to define who you really are, you can find contentment and so often, the extra's just seem to come your way once you know you don't need them. Money has been that way in our life. It's just flowing our way these days and we keep living the same old simple way, much to the puzzlement of some. I still shop Goodwill and always will.
My goal in life now is to have the inside match the outside. Have my inner life, my thoughts be as simple and uncomplicated as our lifestyle. To resolve the old issues that nag me. To lay in bed at night without the squirrel cage thoughts of things like, "wonder if I should cook potato salad tomorrow", and from there the thoughts might be, "do I have everything I need to make it?" "Need to go the store in the morning." "When I am at the store I need to look for whatever " "I should check the new fabric at the store" that might lead me to thoughts of all the projects I have in baskets waiting to be finished and then on and on and on. We think so much. Nothing simple about that sort of thought pattern. I want simple on the inside too. Now don't get the idea I want to be a simpleton....what I really am saying is that I want to just live in the moment with my thoughts. Not let there be a million things racing through my brain like a run away train.
Now onto health....I want the outside to match the inside. I want to resolve the eating thing. For me, its just one thing. I am a spoiled brat and want to eat what I want to eat and how much I want of it. .

Comments

Your blog is so very good, Patty. Thank you. Your description of what Buddhists call "monkey mind" was very apt. I am trying to deal with this too. It really does help to stop and do mindful breathing for a few moments and just think "calm" on the in breath and "smile to the world" on the out breath. I don't think of this as a religious practice, but as a mental one and it helps me. I can really easily get caught up in that "what to do tomorrow" mental squirrel wheel. Writing things down in my agenda notebook helps too......BTW, do you know how lucky you are to have all those tomatoes just now? Not only will we not have any in the garden for two months, we cannot buy very many except grape type and on the vine because of some salmonella scare around here. Sad.........
Patty said…
Hi Kristi,
Emery and I both practice meditation on a regualar basis. Me more than him, but during the day and just before sleep, my mind is always running full speed !

Popular Posts