It's Never Easy To Say Good-bye

This morning around 6 a.m. my dad left for home. We all played a brave game of it and held our tears as we took our last hugs. But as the car pulled out of the driveway, that was a different story.
Emery went off to work and I grabbed a bit more sleep. I got up in a house felt so empty. I had breakfast alone. I do hope he thinks about moving up here with us, even if its to his own place close by. We are all keeping that as part of our prayers.

Yesterday Pepper killed and ate a chicken. I felt heartsick about it but with so much going on I didn't really have time to think about it in depth. She goes after the goats too, not just herding them but biting at them. Now, heading out to do my chores I have to face the reality that maybe she isn't a good farm dog. We will probably always have chickens and goats and we need a dog that isn't after their blood. I just don't know what we are going to do but we have to come up with a solution. Penning up Pepper is not a solution for us. She is a dog that needs running space, it would be mean to just keep her confined. This morning I plan on doing some serious study to see how a dog can be trained to leave the chickens alone !
There are always challenges in this kind of homestead life, always something to figure out.
Time for me to get busy with my chores of the day. If you think of it, say a prayer for my dad as he travels home to Florida.

Comments

Peggy said…
saying a prayer for a safe journey and that he will move to be closer to his family
Anonymous said…
Your dad is in my prayers. I always try to act brave when my parents start home. Most of the time I walk back in the house bawling like a baby.

I hope you can work something out with your dog. My dad had a dog he loved very much. One day for no reason he killed and ate one of our chickens. Dad did everything in his power to train him not to do that. In the end we had to give him to a friend with a large piece of land. Dad was told once the dog has a taste for chicken blood it never goes away. But, that was years ago.

Rebecca
Patty said…
I have heard the same thing Rebecca, about dogs tasting blood, but this morning I worked with her when she was chasing a chicken and the method I found on the internet did seem to work. Time will tell for sure.
http://www.anatoliandog.org/poultry.htm
Patty said…
Thanks Peggy, sure would love it if he did. My middle sister is thinking of moving to texas which would give him two children here, along with grandchildren and great grands
Marci said…
Pat it is always hard to say goodbye. Every day counts. That would be great if he would move to be near you. Where does your sister live? It is just you two, right?
Patty said…
Hi Marci,
I have two sisters that live in the Boston area.
Carrie J said…
Patty, My dog Pepper was a difficult puppy but is a wonderful dog. Keep working with your Pepper and hopefully things will turn out well.
Richelle said…
Patty,
If you end up looking for a herding dog let me know. We have a 14 week old puppy that we are going to have to give away. She would be a great herding dog - 1/2 Australian shepherd 1/2 Border Collie. We just don't have the room for her to run like she really needs. She is a very loving, active puppy.

Richelle
richelle_robinson@hotmail.com
Patty said…
Hi Richelle, what a kind offer. We are going to try for a week or so to see if we can work with Pepper. If it doesn't go well, you may just hear from me : )
Charity Grace said…
Patty, we had a dog that killed a chicken once. My dad hung the dead bird around his neck until it rotted away. Sounds nasty, but it worked.

We tried the same thing with another dog we had, but with less success. I think it just depends on the dog.
TJ said…
We are surrounded by farmers, and I too was told to hang the dead chicken to the collar so that it rots. I'm not sure I could handle it personally, but it is a method I've heard works.

I hope your training goes well. Our dog Sampson (a Malamute) killed a couple of gophers and birds, but now he leaves them all alone. So much so that we finally bought an "owl" with motion sensors to scare the birds out of his food dish. So it may just be a puppy thing and with some love and training she'll be broken of it.

I pray your dad's trip home is safe.

Popular Posts