A Goodly Man


This week Emery handed me a sizable amount of money to do some home improvement with. Pretty things like curtains, a new coffee table and whatever else I wanted. He explained that I have been so patient in waiting to buy the things I really wanted for the house. We had other things that felt more pressing to us, than pretty curtains or a coffee table. Today, Melanie, Mei-Ling and I headed off for our favorite antique store. After the bad storms subsided that is. We strolled the isles over and over, trying to decide on just the right pieces of accent furniture. Mei-Ling was as good as gold, sitting in her stroller, pointing to things she found interesting. We were in the store for a good 2 hours. I found the perfect coffee table, solid wood, round corners so babies won't hurt themselves. It needs to be painted or stripped and refinished but I love it. Its very "us" Simple and practical, yet fits our rather old fashioned home. I found a wonderful little Hitchcock folding table that is so cute and reminds me so much of my mothers dining room chairs that were also by Hitchcock. It was a steal, price wise...I suspect Texans may not all know about Yankee furniture makers.
There was a piece of pottery from Maine that I fell in love with and a brass chamber stick and a cute end table of sorts. Perfect for an empty spot.
I found just the right color paint for one of the spare bedrooms and the name made me a bit homesick....Maine shores. Reminding me of so many summer nights walking around York Maine, in love with the cool ocean breeze. Later in another store I found a braided rug with just that exact shade of Maine shore gray green in it. It's late now, and I am bone weary from all the shopping. But tomorrow I will share pictures of some of our new old items. There are new lamps. A wonderful print for the living room wall of an Amish boy and his horse. Shutters for hanging on the outside of the house, (those are new) and perhaps I will buy that picket fence I have been dreaming about. It feels nice to have some new things. We didn't spend thousands of dollars and I hunted for bargains. Emery is out in the dark, hanging window shutters for me. A goodly man, this gentle man of mine. A heart and hand always there for us, "love made visible".

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I can't wait to see pictures.

Have a great day!
novascotiagal said…
A lovely picture in my mind: A gift of appreciation for your loving patience - the money to do the shopping, and the time taken to hang the shutters so soon... it is evident how much he adores you. Enjoy the day, with the new "old" things to arrange. I'll love to see the pictures!
R. Aastrup said…
Your morning storm caused plane delays the entire rest of the day! I didn't arrive home from Arizona until nearly 2:30 today because everything was delayed out of DFW =( Glad you had such a great day, though.
Patty said…
No fun being stuck at the airport Rondi. I am sure it feels good to be home again.

Popular Posts