Walden Pond

For many years I have been a fan of Thoreau. Just love his march to your own drum beat philosophy. And to be sure he was a bit of a rebel and that just appeals to me and did way back in 1969 but that is another story.
I used to go to Walden pond and walk around it, trying to capture a sense of where he was and what he saw when he lived out there.
One thing I learned from reading his writings is that no one can steal your ideals, dreams or happiness unless you give them the power to do so. And why would you ever want to do that ? My happiness is mine ! Ain't no one gunna take it from me : )

Life can throw you a curve ball from time to time and there are times of saddness, as in the loss of a loved one, or like now watching my father loose his wife, slowly. He is so sad and so tired. But still there is a peace about him.
Be kind and have compassion for everyone. That doesn't mean you have to be good buddies with everyone but understand where they are coming from and why they act the way they do, good or bad. People are angry in order to protect themseves from feeling the pain of being hurt. Knowing that allows you to have compassion for them.
Life is indeed wonderful ! Some people have suffered much through life and it has made them bitter, jealous and angry. Like our youngest adopted son. He was too wounded and never has been able to recover.

I read these words today and had to share them. Think about them. Think about your life and what things really matter to you. What are your dreams and what things cannot be taken from you ?
Strive for simplicity, live humbly and with kindness. Tread softly. Its the higher road to take.

the picture is of me and my neice Vicky, taken at Walden Pond, 1979 (notice my earth shoes)

From Walden by Thoreau....
" I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.......


In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, no poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness. If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Comments

Sunny said…
Oh my, little darling Vicki. In my mind she never got much bigger than that. You remember she was my next door neighbor for a while.

Popular Posts