Amish Buttermilk Bread




This is one of my favorite breads to make when I have Buttermilk on hand. There is a very similar recipe in the Cooking From Quilt Country Cookbook. Which is shown in one of the pictures. The recipe I have was given to me quite some time ago by a friend.

The first picture shows the finished loaves cooling. The second picture shows the kneaded dough. The third picture shows the dough after it has risen.

AMISH BUTTERMILK BREAD

Makes 2 small loaves ( I always double the recipe)

Made with molasses and a bit of bacon fat, this bread is a delight at any meal. It has a deep golden crust.

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons molasses
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons bacon fat ( I have used butter and a dash of liquid smoke in place of the bacon fat)
1 teaspoons salt
5 1/2 - 6 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter

Dissolve the yeast in warm water with 1 tablespoon of the molasses. Set aside in a warm place to get bubbly, about 5 minutes
In a small saucepan, combine the buttermilk, bacon fat, remaining molasses and salt; heat until lukewarm.

Place 3 cups of the flour in a large mixing bowl; beat in the buttermilk mixture until smooth, then mix in the yeast mixture. Add most of the remaining flour, one cup at t time until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface, flour and knead for 10 - 12 minutes ( you will probably use up the remaining flour while kneading the dough adding it to prevent the dough from sticking)

The finished dough should be smooth and elastic. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn once and cover with a damp cloth. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Oil two loaf pans.
punch down the dough.

Divide dough in half, form into 2 loaves and place in loaf pans. Smooth side up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake for 10 minutes, lower heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 25-30 minutes. The finished loaf should sound hollow when tapped . Remove loaves from the pans immediately.

Rub a stick of butter across the loaves, it uses about 2 tablespoons of butter for this.

Let cool before slicing and eating

Comments

Lucy said…
Hi Patty, When Bonnie is home I need to read all your post. I just take a peek to your pictures .. OOhh what a sweet kitties. and I love your crochet bedcover. I have twoo.. one knitten and one crochet. I found them in this house when we bought it. I think they are from the 30th. I love them :c)
Sunny said…
Yeah, I want some, but I want YOU to make it!
Christine said…
The bread looks so dilectable!!! A slice with a cup of coffee....yummy!! I think we'll try to make some this weekend.
Christine said…
Question: what is liquid smoke?
Patty said…
Liquid smoke is sold near the BBQ sauces. Its just some "stuff" that gives food a smokey flavor.
You can make tofu bacon with it too !
Kelli said…
Patti, I made your Amish White Bread this week. I used 2 cups of wheat flour in place of the white. It is my favorite bread recipe. It made a great tomato, pepper jack cheese, avacodo and lettuce sandwich yesterday.
:0)

Kelli
Kelli said…
opps..sorry I spelled your name wrong, Patty.
Patty said…
Hi Kelli,
Glad you like that recipe, its such a simple but good one. I have used all kinds of flour combinations with it and they all seem to work well. I have added herbs too. It works well with cinnamon and raisins also.
No worry about the spelling of my name. I spelled it with an "i" when a teenage.

Popular Posts